In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Iver Johnson/Colt

Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm new to the group. I have a couple pistols that I recently inherited, and was curious of there value and maybe find out a little information about them. ....   I would really appreciate any assistance you can provide . The first pistol is an Iver Johnson top break revolver with floating cylinder.... 6" barrel. According to a utube video i just watched... it is a second generation pistol with 32 cal ammo. Not sure of the model number, it was pretty worn... but looks to be 455 or maybe 1455. The second pistol is a COLT.D.A.41 model number 834. I have the serial number for this one.... not the Iver, Would the serial number help provide info? Like I said... I am new here... and don't know much... Thankyou for your time.... Jeff

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Quality close-up photos, would be best, for accurate identification and valuation.

Likely the Colt, would potentially, have greater value than the I.J. Factory originality and cosmetic condition. Would greatly influence this. 41 Long Colt ammo, has been obsolete and virtually unobtainable for years. Because of this, shooting it would be a very difficult and expensive.
  • jeffrey.B.123jeffrey.B.123 Member Posts: 7
    I would have to agree with you about the ammo. I was able to locate two boxes for the colt 41. One box of 50 rounds was $79. needless to say, I don't see myself shooting it at that price. Wondering if I should purchase a box to go with the pistol if I were to sell. Thankyou for your help.
    The I.J. is unusual because of the long barrel. Most were made as inexpensive personal protection revolvers. With short barrels.  Other than to a I.J. collector, would that make any difference. Even so, don't see it worth more than a couple of hundred. If it's chambered in 32 S & W Long. If it's the original 32 S & W cartridge, less than that.

The Colt appears to me, to be a "New Army & Navy" model. Circa 1890's-1907? Colt made almost 300,000, most chambered in 38 Long Colt. The 41 L.C. were never that common. Your photo isn't that great. But it appears to be in factory original condition. If the bore and chambers aren't rusted ? Looks to be in antique VG condition, for a revolver that's over 120 years old. Since ammo is so expensive and hard to get. It's a collectors item only. Hard to call? At least $300 to $500, to the right person.
    Thank you for your time and input. The 41 cal isn't rusty at all. The i/j is rusty though. The bore on the i/j  is short. 
    Also, how do I go about locating a I/J collector?

Also, how do I go about locating a I/J collector?

Best bet would be to put it on our auction. For the greatest exposure to I.J. collectors, and potential bidders.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    If you sell those here make sure you have an FFL lined up to transfer for you. IMO, ONLY, the Iver won't bring that much and you might sell it locally, the Colt I would list here and post a link to the auction on the General Discussion forum, it will get attention and bring a decent amount. your mileage may vary - 
  • kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭
    Howdy!
    Not sure what you mean by 'floating cylinder', does it raise when you open the action? Not supposed to do that. Worth somewhere around a hundred bucks.
    The Colt is worth quite a bit more. Looks like a Model 1892 in good condition. Four or five hundred dollars to the right guy.
    floating cylinder was the term that was used in a utube video I watched when I looked up the i/j. Thank you for your input... I appreciate it.
    The "floating cylinder".... the cylinder moves freely until you use the trigger action.... then locks into place.  Where on other revolvers, the cylinder locks into place once its back into the loaded position.
    I just checked the auction.... there's another colt 41 cal on there now... with one bid... $750. 
This discussion has been closed.