In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WW-II (dated) .30 Carbine Ammo

JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Ask the Experts
Have been offered an un-opened spam can (600 rds.) of .30 Cal. carbine ammo for $400. Question: is after 75 yrs stored how good would the quality be ?  I don't really need them and probably wouldn't ever open or shoot any unless there was a real SHTF going on but having a backup stockpile might be handy. Thanks for any replies.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

Comments

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    US surplus .30 cal carbine ammo is currently in the 50-60 cent per round range, so the asking price for WWII era ammo is certainly fair...from a collector standpoint.  If you want to shoot it, 75 years of unknown storage might mean a lot of misfires. 
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    As 80 year old ammo can be good, but unless you are going to shoot it as plinking stuff, I would pass. 
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies, my main concern was thinking the number of misfires/duds might make the price kinda null & void as for being a good deal....so maybe not such a good deal, just a gamble. Collector value isn't my intent here, a good price for a quality product is always attractive, just not sure about the quality being offered. I use only .22's for plinking & fun, no worry there  :)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    Carbine ammo has never been cheap- and remains pricey. If the ammo was stored correctly for 75 years then yes, it should be as good as they day it left the factory. My concern is that unless the guy selling it is 95 years old and took the can home with him on VJ Day, who actually knows how the ammo was stored for much of its life? If you are considering it solely for shooting, I'd look at more recent surplus which would also be priced a bit cheaper. 
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    On a unopened, sealed can. My only reservation(s), are the amount of heat and impact it has endured, over the last 75+years? As you can't quantify this. And would only want it for emergency use. You would be correct on passing on it. 

The way things are playing out with the animals though. You probably could double your money on it, by this time next month. I don't know where you live? But around here, folks are getting really hinky. 
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    I would think that a correctly dated unopened can would blow some collector's skirt sky high.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Someday soon, shooters will realize that the available supply of USGI M1 carbine & M2 ball is on zero.  For several years, folks have been buying corroded Greek M2 ball that is guaranteed to have quite a few duds.
    I've taped a piece of paper on my carbine ammo (that came from DCM in reusable cans):  "Use for practice only after 100 years".
    Neal