In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gouged rims

notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
I'm noticing the rims on fired brass being gouged leaving a noticeable burr. They are more or less diagonal  and fairly consistent. This is a 308 win model 70 Win. This isn't brass that's binding when I close the bolt. I've cleaned small burrs of brass off the bolt face when I first noticed it. It's just on the rim. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    I have seen this problem before and attributable to softer than average brass providing your rifle is sound. I assume you are not experiencing any extraction problems. Have you tried different ammo?

As of the last couple of years, I have seen such problems as you describe and only with Federal ammo, along with the weak rims, I am seeing hundred of loose primer pockets rendering Federal brass good for maybe one reload. This problem is not isolated to one caliber and mainly their rifle brass. Pistol brass is OK. Federal brass as of late sucks. 
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Pictures of the brass condition would be extremely helpful. Showing a couple of different angles will help assess the problem.
    Best.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    From your description, sounds like the extractor. Try different ammo from various manufacturers. If the brass gouging persists, with all different ammo? Use a fine pointed Sharpie pen, on the extractor hook. To see where it is contacting the brass.

Usually when there is exstream contact, there will be a "shiney" spot where the ink has rubbed off. Remove the extractor from the bolt, and very carefully polish the area around the "shiny" spot. Do this on a trial and error basis. Until the extractor doesn't bind on the brass.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    I'm embarrassed that I haven't got back sooner. I've noticed this on all my most recently fired brass. I didn't noticed it till I handled the brass to prep for reloading. So I fired it maybe a year or so ago. Saying that because I don't remember any extraction issues. There is a definite burr on the rims. The gouges that create the burr are on a slight angle. Oblique I think is the word. Thanks for the responses and It's time for me to learn to post photos.