Crazy Night...Smoked out!

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,823 ✭✭✭✭
Crazy night tonight.  Serious smoke.  Everything is yellow and the smoke is choking.  WOW!!
Air quality is zero!  Horizon looks grey, orange, brown.
Fires are nuts tonight. 
Nothing near us...yet, but WOW

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe that snow forecast will be a blessing. Stay safe. Bob
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 15,435 ✭✭✭
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭
    It's been like that around here for weeks, and now it's back to 109+ temps. The Creek Fire east of Fresno burned 36,000 acres in 22hrs trapping Labor Day campers at Huntington Lake. Military sent in some Blackhawks to evacuate over 200 people off party barges in the middle of the lake because the whole shore line was burning. First time I've ever seen flames from a satellite photo, and the smoke is dropping ash clear up in Lake Tahoe. If it continues like it did today, it might be in the Yosemite Valley in a couple of days.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,452 ✭✭✭
    I was just on the weather channel, a short time ago. They are predicting Santa Ana winds to start shortly, in callie.  Due to various weather disturbances. As the previous poster noted. You folks over there, keep a eye out.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 10,886 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here on the other side of the mountains, FCD. Yesterday morning, there was a very weird smoke layer like stratus clouds: clear below but a thin yellow-gray overcast just floating above us. We could see it as a band of smoke against the mountains. Very ominous looking, not at all like regular clouds. High wind warnings today, so that will dissipate the smoke. Just hope no idiot campers (that's a redundancy) start more fires.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,607 ✭✭✭

Good luck to you folks dealing with such situations.

What's next?
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    I saw where a gender reveal party started a big fire in California. What kind of IDIOT shoots fireworks when one spark can cause that kind of devastation?
  • Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,823 ✭✭✭✭
    Totally orange / grey sunrise this morning.
    Looked like being on Mars.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭
    grdad45 said:
    I saw where a gender reveal party started a big fire in California. What kind of IDIOT shoots fireworks when one spark can cause that kind of devastation?
    The California kind, of course!  
    A couple years back there was a kid lighting fireworks off in the Columbia Gorge here in Oregone and he started a doozy of a blaze.   'Common sense' ain't as common as it once was.  
    Heh, yeah, some of these southern Kalifornia folks are dumb as a bag o hammers!  We had one guy last year a couple miles from here buy a piece of property and park his 5th wheel trailer on it (while he builds a house I guess).  Decided he was going to burn some weeds around his trailer...in 35mph winds...during a red flag warning day!!
    Burned about 60 acres of his neighbor's pasture grass and narrowly missed getting the neighbor's outbuilding.  FD did a great job saving the guy's barn. 
    Great way to make new neighbor friends!!
    edited September 7
    Jumped to over 80,000 acres overnight, heat in the valley causing winds to increase and constantly changing directions. Lots of people still trapped up there and the air evac can't get to them because of the smoke. The heat is so intense, it's making it's own form of a cumulus cloud. Satellite pic from this morning of the western states.

@TRAP55 - Stay safe, Dave! 
    And I hope you know my earlier reference to Kalifornia was not a slight on you (don't really consider you 'southern CA).
    Bob, anyone lighting fireworks in this state right now should be shot on sight, if for nothing else, just to get a start on cleaning up the gene pool!
    Dictator Newsom released 18,000 prisoners, majority of which were trustees that worked with the CDF crews fighting fires. With the stroke of a pen, he doubled the crime rate, and burned down the state. I hope the Republican Party runs ads with those facts, with background pics of the destruction.
    I'm down in the AZ desert, miles away from the fires. All our northwestern sky, is obscured with grey/brownish smoke. Weather channel just announced, a red flag fire alert for tomorrow.
    They should convict and sentence any idiot who starts fires like that to Life cutting fire-lines on a high-angle Wildfire Crew!
    Those guys work harder than any other human beings I know!!
    🤬
    Trap, those two photos are nasty, ugly-looking sumbeaches. I fear for anyone trapped in the path of things like that.
    Rocky, that's my fear, there was a lot of people up there camping and backpacking trying to escape the heat, 115 there today. As fast as that fire was moving, there's a high possibility there's going to be some missing. Someone was up high enough to get a cell connection and sent pics of backpackers and pack horses with a message that they were cut off, and heading over the mountains down into NV.
    Just got off the phone with one son that got his G/F packed up, out of there, and on the road to Fresno. His brother would have been up there fishing, but had to work.
    Mandatory evacuations all the way down to Auberry and Prather now, and those towns are just a short ride from Fresno.
    Years ago, I was favored with being given a pre-release review/edit copy of Norm Maclean's book "Young Men and Fire" and it scared the living snot out of me how those men died.
    Years ago, I was favored with being given a pre-release review/edit copy of Norm Maclean's book "Young Men and Fire" and it scared the living snot out of me how those men died.
    A number of years ago. The granite mountain, hot shot, fire crew from Prescott. Got wiped out fighting a fire. I believe, 19 in all were killed. Terrible tragedy! It happened in a small town, just off highway 89, 30  miles south of Prescott. Use to live in Prescott. Couldn't hardly believe it. When I first heard about it.

Then there was the Storm King Mountain (South Canyon Fire) incident here in CO back in 94.  (14) firefighters lost their lives in that fire.
    Interestingly "John" Maclean wrote a book about that fire called Fire on the Mountain; The True Story of the South Canyon Fire.  A different Maclean maybe?
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    "John N. Maclean" is correct.... John Sidney McCain III was the senator from AZ...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    For all those out in the vast waste land, how is the fire doing with the snow falling?
    Butchdog2 said:
    For all those out in the vast waste land, how is the fire doing with the snow falling?
    When fires get that hot, as the ones currently burning are now, it takes a while to get them out, even if there is rain and snow.  Most of the water will vaporize before it hits the ground.  The amount of energy these fires create is staggering.  The rains and the weather will help, but the fires are likely still weeks from being fully contained and/or extinguished, regardless how hard it rains.
    edited September 8
    Rain definitely helps the fire crews make progress containing them, but at the same time it also creates a new problem...flooding and landslides, because there's no vegetation to hold the surface in place.  It also poses some challenges to firefighters because people can't move as easily, roads get blocked and vehicles get stuck.
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    How much snow and rain are you expecting. Have seen a few picture from the Ennis area, I think anyway. Friend out there fishing. One just got back last week 90*
    We've got about 3" right now.  They're talking about possibly another 1-3" today before 1pm, then rain / snow mix.  Current temp is about 28F.
    I think hell has annexed Calif, this is SF at noon today, I'm about 80miles east, and it's 3 times as bad here. Willow tree in the backyard is full of sparrows just sitting there like they don't know where to go. Haven't seen the sun in a couple of days, have to hose orange/brown mud off the car just to see out of it.

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I wish you rain/snow...DAMN!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    Just to check my memory, I looked up the book I mentioned above. Turns out I was right (for once.)
    "Young Men and Fire is a non-fiction book written by Norman Maclean. It is an account of Norman Maclean's research of the Mann Gulch fire of 1949 and the 13 men who died there. The fire occurred in Mann Gulch in the Gates of the Mountains Wilderness on August 5. The book won the National Book Critics Circle Award." Wikipedia
    What it shows is that far too many brave young men get horribly killed while fighting wildfires.

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 30,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Godspeed to all.  These fires are terrifying.  Stay safe, get out if threatened and don't delay in evacuations, if ordered.  I am offering shelter her in Ohio if you need it.
    My young friend Alex is posted near the CA/OR border with CalFire. Two months ago he was whining about how bored he was. I haven't heard from him since then, until today. He had just got in from a 30hr straight stint on the fire line, to grab some food and a couple hours of sleep, then back to it. Said they are so understaffed, he can't see an end to this inferno.
    He's on the SW end of a fire near Happy Camp,CA, that stretches all the way north to Medford,OR.  That fire has already completely wiped out 4 towns, and may take Medford as well.
    I told him the orange sky here looks like Mars. he told me he hasn't seen the sky at all for days now. Sometimes the smoke is so thick and black, he has to check his watch to see if it's day or night time.