Mark your calendar for August 6 - 15, 2021

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,281 ✭✭✭✭
Sturgis Rally dates are set for August 6 - 15, 2021
 View Message Online Black Hills Vacations
 The Black Hills are welcoming visitors With the 80th anniversary of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in the history books, it's time to set your calendar for 2001.
 A Huge Thank You Over 400,000 people attended the 80th anniversary. For those of you who attended, our entire industry would like to express their gratitude.
We love hosting bikers because you are an incredible group of people More than ever, people talked about how respectful and appreciative our visitors were to be able to travel to our state and express their freedom. For those of you unable to join us, we hope to see you next year! August 5th-16th, save the dates! Featured Local Businesses Having trouble finding the right place to stay for your Sturgis Rally visit? Black Hills Vacations has you covered from private homes to cabins and RV rentals. Just Call 866-673-4636
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    I though all that attended this years rally was going to die from the bat flu.
    Leaves for no one to go to the event next year.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭
    Will be at least 200 fewer.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭
    250000 new cases of the virus so far from the Sturgis related gathering.  Deaths plus those that wised up will not be back.  200 is a minimum projected number.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Projections are just that ... projections.   
    As such, I project aliens from another planet will land on earth in 2 weeks and kill all the Muslims ... and Russians .... and Democrats!
     o:) 
    "This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
    Are there any that were at Sturgis checked back in to report that they caught the bat flu from being at the rally?
  • jarjar Member Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I personally know of 12 people that were there for 10 days and none have had any illness from anything. the only thing I know that they have had issues with about their sturgis trip is , all the b.s. fake news that is being spread around from dumbazzez that did not have the balls to go to sturgis , but sure like to spread B.S. 
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭
    250,000 cases out of the 400,000 who attended??  Is this what you are saying???  If so, I would think those numbers are vastly over inflated.
    250,000 is a third of the ND population, and yes I know most who attended were not SD residents. BUT if 250,000 got infected I would think that at the rate the CDC says it spreads the whole country would be in the hospital by now.
    JimmyJack said:
    250000 new cases of the virus so far from the Sturgis related gathering.  Deaths plus those that wised up will not be back.  200 is a minimum projected number.
    A totally phony report with ZERO health care input.
    ACTUAL numbers are maybe slightly over 100 tested positive cases in South Dakota (a % may have been infected elsewhere) and nationally maybe 300 totally tested positive cases.
    The report of the 250,000 was NOT conducted with any medical evidence and is another media false reporting.
    Want the FACTS ..... simply call the South Dakota Dept. of Health and/or the Governor's office.

Butchdog2 said:
    Are there any that were at Sturgis checked back in to report that they caught the bat flu from being at the rally?

I know several, personally, who attended and NONE have any illness.
    BTW _ I was also there and not impacted either.
    It's a typical B.S. news story.
    And I've also noticed there are NO stories about the protesters/rioters who are elbow to elbow in the streets getting sick.   LOL 

Newspaper article:

"South Dakota saw another decrease in people actively fighting COVID-19 infections on Tuesday, as well as a decrease in hospitalizations, the state Department of Health reported.

Tuesday’s report included 105 new infections on 686 total tests and no additional deaths. Twenty-four of the new positive infections were among Minnehaha County residents. There were nine new cases in Brown and Lincoln counties and six in Codington County.

The state reported 316 total recoveries, and active cases decreased to 2,679. The number of people hospitalized Tuesday stood at 68, 10 fewer than Monday.

The latest numbers of people infected by the disease follow a Labor Day weekend during which the state reported that more people recovered from the disease than new infections. On Sunday, the number of people with active COVID-19 infections fell by 39, the first time that active infections decreased since Aug. 18.

Monday saw a record number of people recovered from the disease at 317, which decreased active cases by 126.

Reported test results Friday and Saturday were among the largest batches of testing since the start of the pandemic.

State Epidemiologist Joshua Clayton said Tuesday that 452 people associated with the state’s K-12 education system have tested positive. Of those, 297 were students and 155 were staff.

Meanwhile, 842 people in the state’s higher education system have tested positive. Among those, 806 were students and 36 staff.

“We’re seeing an increase in cases among virtually all campuses,” Clayton said.

Brown County had 838 confirmed cases as of Tuesday, of which 176 were active, according to the health department. Three people have died and 30 people have ever been hospitalized, according to the health department.

As of Monday, there were 42 self-reported active cases on the Northern State University campus — 40 students and two staff members, according to information from the university. Fifty-one people were quarantined or isolated on campus with another 74 doing the same off campus.

In Codington County, there have been 468 confirmed cases with 175 active as of Tuesday. There have been two deaths and 16 people ever hospitalized.

Clayton also said that 124 South Dakota residents who attended the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally had tested positive.

Disputed

study

A study by a California research group estimates that the Sturgis motorcycle rally led to more than 260,000 coronavirus cases in the month following the event.

Researchers from the Center for Health Economics and Policy Studies at San Diego State University published their findings Saturday in a 63-page report.

Gov. Kristi Noem debunked its findings.

“This report isn’t science; it’s fiction. Under the guise of academic research, this report is nothing short of an attack on those who exercised their personal freedom to attend Sturgis,” she said in a news release. “Predictably, some in the media breathlessly report on this non-peer reviewed model, built on incredibly faulty assumptions that do not reflect the actual facts and data here in South Dakota.”

The goal of the study was to estimate the impacts of a single “super-spreader” event on the spread of COVID-19. The same group has conducted similar studies on cases resulting from events like the nationwide Black Lives Matter rallies and the June political rally for President Donald Trump in Tulsa, Okla.

Using cellphone data as part of their analysis, the researchers identified areas which saw lots of rally-goers and tracked cases before and after the event. Those findings, paired with a per-case cost estimate from another team of economists, conclude the rally may have generated a public health cost of about $12.2 billion.

“Even though the event benefited South Dakota economically, the majority of the health cost is being borne by the rest of the country,” Andrew Friedson, one of four authors of the study, told the Argus Leader on Monday.

The number of cases estimated in the study differs significantly from the number of cases tied to the rally reported by the South Dakota Department of Health. As of Tuesday, the state reported 124 cases among South Dakota residents who got sick after attending the rally.

“The results do not align with what we know for the impacts of the rally,” Clayton said Tuesday.

That discrepancy is because the state is identifying specific cases through contact tracing. The study takes a different approach.

Instead of looking at contact tracing and trying to identify specific people who had the disease and passed it on to others, the San Diego researchers looked at the areas that sent the most people to the rally and how case trends changed after the event.

“We’re never going to be able to contact trace every single person from Sturgis,” Friedson said. “So if we want a good-faith estimate using, at the moment, the accepted statistical techniques ... this is the best number we’re going to get in my opinion.”

South Dakota Secretary of Health Kim Malsam-Rysdon disagreed with the methodology of the study on Tuesday, questioning the link between cellphone data and cases. She and Clayton also noted that the research paper is not peer reviewed at this point.

The public health cost estimate comes in large part from a separate study published last month by two economists. This study found non-fatal COVID-19 cases cost a weighted average of $46,000 per case. Using that number — and assuming all rally cases were non-fatal — the San Diego researchers estimated a public health cost of $12.2 billion.

“This is enough to have paid each of the estimated 462,182 rally attendees $26,553.64 not to attend,” the paper read.

Malsam-Rysdon said she hasn’t seen the research behind that cost estimate, but she cautioned against taking it at face value.

“I would just caution you about putting too much stock into models ... that can’t be verified by other factual numbers,” Malsam-Rysdon said in reference to the study. “I think that is the case with that particular white paper.”

Earlier studies on the Tulsa and Black Lives Matter rallies didn’t find a subsequent uptick in cases, Friedson said, and that’s largely because he and his co-authors found the new cases were offset by more people in those areas staying home during those events.

What’s about Sturgis, though, is its small population. Even if everybody in town stayed home for the duration of the rally, it wouldn’t be enough to offset the hundreds of thousands of attendees, Friedson said."

• jarjar Member Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Warbirds said:
    ","bodyRaw":"250,000 is a third of the ND population, and yes I know most who attended were not SD residents. BUT if 250,000 got infected I would think that at the rate the CDC says it spreads the whole country would be in the hospital by now.
    ","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2020-09-08T23:08:21+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":384684,"name":"Butchdog2","profileUrl":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/profile\/Butchdog2","photoUrl":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/applications\/dashboard\/design\/images\/defaulticon.png","dateLastActive":"2020-09-09T10:43:39+00:00","label":"✭✭✭"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/discussion\/comment\/11213548#Comment_11213548","embedType":"quote"}"> https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/comment/11213548#Comment_11213548
    \rendobj\r 4130 0 obj\r>\/Filter\/FlateDecode\/ID[]\/Index[4116 28]\/Info 4115 0 R\/Length 79\/Prev 2295373\/Root 4117 0 R\/Size 4144\/Type\/XRef\/W[1 2 1]>>streamh?bbd``b`???? ?2\rH0u?A?H?? ?'Hl!HG\n?P???101\n,?? ??? ?","url":"http:\/\/ftp.iza.org\/dp13670.pdf","embedType":"link","name":""}"> http://ftp.iza.org/dp13670.pdf

I tried to give this some credit and read into the night , then started looking into the authors credits. that was enough to tell me how this was written. among these guys there are articles about the rioters being able to ( protest ) without being a virus spreader, ( ok ) but they are noted as believing that dinning in is bad , going to school is good, and sturgis is bad . HUH!   I think even the CDC has said you can not put stock in the numbers , but here they are building a whole scare article around false numbers! they are professers from blue states. think there is any Bias??? Hell even our so called experts from our own government have been sounding like joe biden and willie washing their opinions and advice . so really, who do you believe? I am not saying this virus is not real , but its been so politicized that it has become so hard to tell real info from B.S.  I personally have been in 5 states since the first of march , been to sturgis and been to a lot of the bars and restauraunts  at lake of the ozarks in missouri. and have meet a lot of people . some have known someone that tested positive but none knew anyone that was actually  sick with symptoms. as I have said in other post , my wife and a number of friends are RN"s ( registered nurse)  and they all have said that the only people they have had with active symptoms of covid were people that already had other serious health issues. so for me , and my opinion , this virus has been inflated into a political tool.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭
    I know 7 from here in CT , no covid , all tested negative