In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Choke tube indentification--- Update

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Ask the Experts
I've bought this barrel.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/877335670   
There is a picture of the choke tubes in the auction ad.
It fits a Remington 1100.   The seller had a gunsmith shorten the barrel and install a thin tube choke system and got the two choked tubes pictured at that time and didn't buy any other tubes for it.   I'm trying to identify what type tubes they are so I can add a couple for future use.   

The total length of the modified tube is 1.6" and it fits flush.  I can't make out the writing on the tube other than the last thing is Inc  the middle word starts with an A and the first seems to start with Con.

I do not have any 12ga rem choke tubes here for comparison.   My Ithaca tubes are compatible with Mossberg and that doesn't match, 

I appreciate any input, thanks

Edit:   The top of the tube measures 0.795 to 0.799 it's not perfectly round, the same area on the turkey choke tube measures 0.795.    He told me the extended choke was a Hastings turkey choke but Hastings made choke tubes for different systems.  The Hastings is also 1.65"  inches from the end to the should and it does lack that 0,05" from seating on the end of the barrel.  The win choke out of my Ithaca  measures 0.810" and is 1.48" long.
Of course measurements were made with my cheap dial calipers and I'm not a machinist.   

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭✭
    If the tubes don't fit your Mossberg which is probably the original WinChoke then I am guessing it is threaded for  the original Rem Choke design. This is just a guess so I would take it to a local gun shop to compare. Bob
  • Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭✭
    Look up Briley Choke I think that is what they are.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    the only ones that i know of that do the thin wall tubes is colonial choke and tool in Bay Minette , al.  i had a browning done there a couple years ago, really nice people.  you can google them.
  • Options
    It does not seem to be Briley at least I didn't find anything like it on their website.  I thought maybe someone would recognize the company logo on the modified tube.   I'll take the choke tube with me for comparison when I get a chance.  
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello "SCOUT5" - I know exactly what it is - it's a Colonial Choke tube.  They have done work for me and I hope to have more done in the future.  They are very good people to work with.  Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    You folks are right it's Colonial.   Thanks a bunch.
  • Options
    I e-mailed Colonial and received a response this morning.  It is their proprietary system.   I've ordered a set of four tubes that will handle lead or steel shot.   So when they arrive I'll be able to use the shotgun for what ever is needed.  Thanks again for the help. 
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    That guy has a hastings French made rifled barrel for sale right now too.

RLTW

• Options
    Sam06 said:
    That guy has a hastings French made rifled barrel for sale right now too.

I seen that but I already have several good slug set ups.  You may remember when I bought the 1100 last fall it came with the cantilever mount Hasting French made barrel.   I got the gun cheap enough.  Now I've bought a set of Burris rings, a Burris sluggun scope, a shot barrel and now 4 choke tubes.   I'm getting a few dollars in the package.  Not to bad for less than $800 I've got the 1100, both barrels,  six choke tubes, rings and a Burris scope.  I really like the shot barrel, 3' chamber, 25 1/2 inches long, choke tube system, it's a good fit for this shotgun.  The thing is one of my sons will probably get the whole package here in a few years.