In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sten gun tube and law

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
If I am in the wrong place throw my fat butt through a window but here is my question. If I ask 20 people about owning a sten tube ten will yell,  YOU WILL GO TO JAIL! and ten will say no problem. I see them for sale every where even  GB has them even with printed tubes. So which is it?

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    A tube is a tube. The ATF has placed a limit on how many slots and holes can be in the tube before it is considered to be a firearm receiver. I'm not exactly sure, but I think that the cocking handle slot is the largest allowed. It is perfectly legal to have the template bonded to the receiver, so long as the template only allows for the building of a semi auto. When finished, these tubes will not accept a fully automatic bolt. Otherwise you buy a tube and a full auto template separate from each other. Possession of both tube and full auto template could be construed to be possession of an unregistered machine gun, but that would be a stretch. 

NOTE: I'm sure that there are companies selling tubes with the full auto template already bonded to the tube. Fine.
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    I saw one with template on GB was one of the reasons I asked.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    As said, the template is only a template.  Machined metal makes a gun.  And yes, the ATF has determined how much machining takes a chunk of pipe and transforms it into a firearm.  They have some specific info on what makes it reach the magic percentage of 80% complete.  
    Not that any asked me, but FWIW, I have shot a military STEN.  Did nothing for me.  Big whoop.