In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

While We're on the Subject of Twist Rates

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
My 25-06 also has a 1:14 twist. It was doing well with factory Federal Premium 117 gr Sierra Gameking BTSP. How do you think it would do with a 100 gr bullet? I have some 90 gr hollow point PPU, I may try later today.

Comments

• XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    The 100 gr would probably still do okay, but the twist might be a little fast for the 90 gr. 
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Note Nonsense's reply to your previous post. To many variables, to be even guessing. Load some up, is all you can do.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    Better recheck those numbers as 1:14 is fairly slow for the 25/06. Best I can tell 1:10 is most common. My Savages (both factory and re-barrel) are 1:10 and shoot 90-115 grain bullets quite accurately.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    Mobuck said:
    Better recheck those numbers as 1:14 is fairly slow for the 25/06. Best I can tell 1:10 is most common. My Savages (both factory and re-barrel) are 1:10 and shoot 90-115 grain bullets quite accurately.
    Now that you mention it, 1:10 might be it. I was cleaning/checking several guns at once, and may have got them confused with one another. I'll recheck it today.
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Mobuck
    I have never heard of a 1-14, 25-06. The standard twist rate is 1-10.  I know one person who wanted a faster twist rate (1-12) and ended up spending big bucks to have it custom built.  If I had one with a twist that slow, I would begin with the lightest bullets I could find.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    As stated above, the standard twist rate for the .25-06 is 1:10" checked against my manufacturers list. The exception for a slower twist rate is the 1:12" for the lightest bullets such as the 90 grain for varmints. The 1:14" twist is an absolute failure for the 90 grain bullets or even the 75 grain VMAX which require a 1:12 twist rate to stabilize the bullets.

Best.

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    Yep, I checked it again. You fellas are correct, it's 1:10. Sorry for posting fake news earlier! :(