In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Astra Constable, model 5000, Garcia, hammer drops upon releasing safety

GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
to fire. I do know, I think it is a hammer drop safety. It doesn't drop when engaged. It (hammer)drops upon releasing the safety to fire which in would cause a discharge. Questions, what parts would be needed or? thanks in advance. Any help. Checked a lot on the net, not much. 

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    hammer drop safety  go outside  load chamber point in grass flick leaver  see if fires then you know or look were hammer strikes and see if safety bar rolls over fp while holding hammer
  • Options
    Ohh yes, it rolls up and exposes the firing pin, but it should never do that just because I took it off safety and hammer dropped to a live firing pin -That's the problem
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    I just checked out my Constable. If I'm understanding you correctly? When you rotate the thumb safety, all the way down to the almost vertical position? The hammer drops and hits the firing pin. Causing the pistol to fire?  If this is your problem?  Your thumb safety has to be either broken, or malfunctioning for some reason?

Astra has been out of business since the 90's. Your're going to have to get a replacement thumb safety, from GPC or one of the other outfits who specialize in used parts.
  • Options
    Rufe,no, the thumb safety does rotate down, hammer does not drop, flip safety up to fire hammer drops on open firing pin. My rambling above is after I had it apart for 90 minutes,  :s
  • Options
    My WAG without taking it apart, is that either the thumb safety or sear are worn/broken. When my thumb safety is depressed approximately 70 degrees, it trips the sear releasing the hammer. 

Garcia imported and sold Astra's, back in the early/mid 70's time frame. Before Interarms. Figure your Constable is at least  45 years old, and might have a high round count?  Not surprising really, that your having problems with it. It might not even be viable, to order parts? Lot of the Spanish pistols were hand fitted. That safety/sear interface is kind of touchy. No telling if the used parts would have the same problems?
  • Options
    Yea, rufe, I know what you say. I know you have answered Astra questions and know some about them. Yes it is the Garcia Washington DC import, round count super low, been in storage for at least 40 years. 
    Sear , yea I would guess you are right but looking for parts for the one screw grip Astra's are like finding a Unicorn in the Artic. 
    Yes, the sear does not trip the hammer like the drop safety is supposed to UNTIL I take off the safety and push it upward to fire, it drops it like a hot potato then.
    thanks you 
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭
    The Astra Constable has a  a known problem with the  safety /  decocker./  Dry firing over the  years can  cause    cracks in the assembly  that  are hard to see  but  will cause problems.. Safety replacement parts  are  next to impossible  to  find. I've used  Walther PPK parts with a  bit of  minor  work  to   replace many of these over the years.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options
    hoosier said:
    The Astra Constable has a  a known problem with the  safety /  decocker./  Dry firing over the  years can  cause    cracks in the assembly  that  are hard to see  but  will cause problems.. Safety replacement parts  are  next to impossible  to  find. I've used  Walther PPK parts with a  bit of  minor  work  to   replace many of these over the years.

Good to know, thanks for the heads up.  I've had my 22, couple/3  years now. With no problems, and don't want any. Probably 500 rounds, at the most through it. Best leave it to be a  safe queen, from now on.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    first thing I would try is the sear spring cause it sounds like it isn't fully engaged so when you release safety there is nothing to stop it from discharging, just my thought.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should