What's for lunch?

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,823 ✭✭✭✭
The day started off kind of slow, and I was hungry for something all morning, but I couldn't figure out what I wanted.  For some reason I had Creole on the brain, but I had nothing leftover which would approach anything remotely Creole.  Solution?  Well, I whipped up a batch of Dirty Rice, and it came out better than I had hoped.  Delicious in fact!  Ricey, Creole-ey, meaty, spicy...perfect!
Anything good on your lunch menu today?

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭
    fried bologna and melted provolone, with thick slice of fresh tomato.......
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭
    I had a tomato sandwich with the last of the tomato's of the year. 

I like dirty rice(I was born in LA) Did you make it with chicken livers?  I think they really give it the authentic taste.
    RLTW

• Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 34,823 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam06 said:
    I had a tomato sandwich with the last of the tomato's of the year. 

I like dirty rice(I was born in LA) Did you make it with chicken livers?  I think they really give it the authentic taste.

No, they haven't had chicken livers (or gizzards) around here since I don't remember when.  I went in the store the other day and asked about them and the meat guys just laughed, said they hadn't seen them since about November last year.  Used to have a big stock of them all the time, now...zippo.
    I guess I just went with poor-man's dirty rice.  I did have a little chicken to throw in with the ground beef though.
    hillbille said:
    fried bologna and melted provolone, with thick slice of fresh tomato.......
    One of my favorites, sans the tomato and cheese.  I'll have to try that sometime, but by the time the bologna gets fried about all I can do is get some mayo (yes, Hellman's) on the bread before I no longer control my urge to stuff my face with that fabulous sammich!
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    I don't eat lunch!!!    :#
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
  • SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭
    Grilled cheese and corn chowder.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭✭

Love Dirty Rice. One of my favorites. Had it a couple weeks ago.

I use Zatarains as a base. Add diced onion in with the ground beef when cooking it. (Drain) Add some brown rice, diced green pepper, a few shots of hot sauce, salt/pepper.

Sometimes add some diced tomatoes.

(Ya'll can keep the Chicken liver.)

Had left over Chicken Soup. Buddy got some mixed in with his food.

Extreme NE TN/W NC ya'll. 😁

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭
     Made hickory smoked meatloaf yesterday, so took my favorite for work lunch today.
     Warmed the ML and slapped in on whole wheat with a bit of Sweet Baby Ray's original, lettuce and a thick slab of t'mater.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭
    mrsdeere whipped up a big pot of oyster stew. Yum!
    jimdeere said:
    mrsdeere whipped up a big pot of oyster stew. Yum!
    she's not hinting at something is she Jim???????
  • nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,573 ******
    Chicken livers are missing in action all over the state unfortunately. I know, I searched. My indefatigable positive attitude forced me to extend the search to the US where I found this;
    Walmart lists Tyson chicken livers @ $1.68/lb but out of stock so...
    I asked for and got some fresh pork liver as a substitute. It's a little different but seared and ground, it works. Fortunately green peppers, onions and rice are plentiful! :)
    Hatch peppers are abundant so the Mercados are grilling and smoking them all day long. It may not be Dirty Rice exactly but smoked Hatch peppers substituted for green peppers is truly amazing!
    Best.

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭
    we have chicken liver at the store where I work.
    main thing they use em for  around here is catfish bait.........
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭
    Ground beef?

Pork is what should be in there.

Just funning you it really doesn't matter what you put in it as long as you like it.

Have you ever had boudan?  It is like Dirty rice in a sausage case.
    RLTW

It would probably be better with pork, but I just went with what I had, so ground beef it was.
    I've heard of boudan, but I've never had any.
    Oyster stew. Again.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭✭
    Judy didn't finish her New York strip the other night so sliced real thin and with a little pepper jack cheese added it made real good sliders for lunch today. Bob
    @jimdeere -   You know, I don't think I've ever had oyster stew.  I'm not a big fan of oyster dressing at all, but always willing to try something new.  I like oysters on the half-shell, but cooked oysters have always seemed 'mealy' and 'earthy' (not sure of another way to describe it).  I'd ask you if it's good, but that would be kind of dumb because you're eating it, so you must like it.
    Can you describe what it tastes like?  Is it like clam chowder, or different?
    Lunch here today was potato leek soup, homemade by the wife last night.  YUM!
    BobJudy said:
    Judy didn't finish her New York strip the other night so sliced real thin and with a little pepper jack cheese added it made real good sliders for lunch today. Bob
    Great thought!
    Common occurrence with me. I'll buy two steaks or the budget pack and grill both. Grilled and smoked tender rare, put in the fridge to get chilled then sliced thin served with Pepper Jack cheese. Incredible combination!
    Alternative is a Romaine lettuce salad, fresh (local) grape tomatoes, thin sliced onions, thin sliced steak and blue cheese dressing. Best dinner in hot weather!

Best.

edited September 22
    Love that too!  Wife never eats a whole steak, which leaves a nice med. rare 1/2 steak for me for lunch!
    FCD, “earthy” is a good word for oyster stew. Most people can’t get past the rubbery? texture.
    I once had oysters on the half shell in a raw bar in Key West. We saw them unload them right off the boat. Awesome!
    I was catching a flight out of Panama City Beach one morning when the oysters were being unloaded. I had lots of time so I found an 'oyster bar' to try. I walked in the front door as the oysters came in the back door. I order a dozen then a cup of oyster stew for good measure. Sour dough bread or corn bread, your choice and sweet tea, of course! I do miss the benefits of being by the coast...

Best.

Will cook up a batch of Dirty rice in the next day or so. Got 1 1/2lb. Ground Chuck. Have everything else. One of my all time favorite dishes.

• Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,068 ✭✭
    OK : 
    Cast Iron Fried Brats w-onions & peppers !!!
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?

Noticed most all the Johnsonville 16oz pkgs of various types of Kielbasa, smoked Sausage, etc. Were wiped out when I went to the grocery store yesterday. Pretty much all that was left were the Turkey variety of sausage. I like to stock up on these pkgs of 16oz sausage as they keep well in the fridge. (I still have a couple there.) I consider them one of the best buys for the $$ when they have 2 for $5 or $6 deals.

I was also craving some Cast iron skillet sausage with onions, peppers and taters. Looks like I was not the only one. Gonna stick with the Dirty Rice option, brown up that ground Chuck.

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26

That sausage is awesome in zatarain’s dirty rice, Ken!

• diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭
    edited September 26

Went out goose hunting on opening day of our Iowa zone, this morning.

Was blessed with geese. Breasted them out, and added the leg and thigh meat to a communal “pot”, which we grind for sausage, or goose burgers. Everyone adds their name and license number to the bag, and will grind this week.

Anyway, there is a strip of meat next to the breast bone that is separate from the main big chunk. We call them dirty rice, (;<€) I mean tenderloins.

Breasts soaking in salt water for Sunday dinner.

Taking the tenderloins and stir frying them with mushrooms, peppers, garlic.

seasoning with fresh basil and thyme, from the garden, and oyster sauce from the Asian market.

Will be served over steamed white rice. Sprinkled with some ghost dust from a member on these forum’s.

Oh buoy!

Had left over Dirty Rice. (Non-Offal.) Yes, I'm calling it Dirty Rice. Sorry. (Not really.)

was out running and decided to try the Arby's gyros, got to say for 2-$6 special they ain't bad, more filling than a burger, would definately try them again............ and I'm not an Arby's fan though I do like their rubens, just not roast beef fan

I'm sure it would be good in the Dirty Rice diver-rig. I like my sausage cooked seperate on the grill or in a cast Iron skillet in the oven. Sliced onions and wedged Taters.

I really like ground beef/Chuck in my Dirty Rice. That is my preference. (Sorry.) Not really.

Hold the Offal.