In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wood Delivery

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion

Got one more really nice load of dried Oak (oversized rounded off full size pick up load.) delivered for $75. Last 4 loads were really excellent as far as volume and Wood type content. (Only found 2-3 Poplar in 4 rounded off full size pick up loads.) Everything else was really nice Oak.

New (High Efficiency) Woodstove being an unknown quantity, and the wood delivered was so good, I figured better Safe than Sorry. Had one more really dry (covered after being split 6+ mo. ago) $75 load delivered. Called at 12:30. Here and delivered by 2:30.

Stacked it all inside the Shed, instead of throwing it down on the ground in a pile like last time. (WTH was I thinking?) Backed the truck right up to the double open shed doors. Guy's were more than happy to help me stack it. Feel really good about the extra (do not run out of wood) delivery. Can't beat it for the $$.

Beats me having a Heart Attack bringing wood up tge bank, and laying in the Woods with a totally screwed up knee and going to the ER, last Nov.

Doing the Allen Griggs Shake and Bake.

Woo Hoo.............................🕺

Comments

• Options

I'd say easily 2 full cords of really dried, full on split Oak loads delivered for $375.

Excellent wood quality and quantity,

Hard to beat.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Best I can cut here is birch, and it does pretty well for BTUs but wow I can't imagine burning dried oak!  Wow.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    Good job!   Hard to beat a truck load of oak.
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    Glad you put it right in the shed this time, as its going to rain :)
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Harvested some white oak here, split, let dry for 18 months under cover.  That stuff burned so hot it left firebrick in the furnace WHITE!  
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

While pine is not a first or even second choice for heating it works well on a shop heater type environment . Not something I would use in the house so much but have burned cords of it in the shop years ago

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    JasonVJasonV Member Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭
    I just finished splitting and stacking the last of what I had cut up. Right now I have about 3 years worth cut, split, and stacked.

Mostly elm, maple, hackberry, and box elder. I get it all free so don't complain.

Good hardwood is hard to come by here. Lots of ash was available but now it can't be transported due to the emerald ash borer. 

Oak firewood around here is unheard of.
    formerly known as warpig883
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    KenK/84Bravo, you aren't buying that oak you are stealing it.  :o
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    Good price per chord (spp)
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Regarding the "high efficiency" wood stove: I don't care for them at all.
    Son had one he used for 3 years and it was a PITA most of the time.  Wood had to be split up like 2x4"s and dead dry or it wouldn't burn.  Some types of wood didn't burn well due to the low air flow so it was a constant battle to keep the fire going.
    Considering the extra time and work to cut the wood short and then split it into kindling sized pieces, it was just a whole lot of trouble for the questionable savings in wood. 
  • Options

Yeah, great price and quality. I knew these guys from years ago when I was a Heavy Equipment Operator at the Sawmill across the road from their house. He has quite the deal going. The Sawmill would put "Reject logs" outside the front gate (usually due to showing metal on the sensors once in the mill.)

These guys can see when the pile is pretty good from their house and buy the "rejects" for pretty cheap. We (the Heavy Equipment Operators) would use our grapple forks and take them across the street for them. They have a huge firewood operation going. Perfectly placed.

Hardworking humble guys.

Mobuck - I remember you posting about this before. I hope my experience is better. I bought one of the larger fireboxes available, and tailored my wood deliveries to those specs. (19" or shorter.) I'm commited now in any case. $$ stove and chimney work plus SS liner.

I feel good addressing the potential Chimney fire threat. (A lot to go into about that.)

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Jason I feel your pain.  I lived up in eastern Washington one year, right on the Idaho line.  All they had to burn was pine.
    I would tell the guys about burning oak back in Georgia and they were in awe, a wood that lasted twice as long in the stove as pine did.   They thought I was kidding.
    Mobuck I know what you mean about the high efficiency stoves.  They are finicky.   I started burning back in 1973, I probably had the only wood stove in Atlanta.  I bought a kit from the Sotz company and made a wood stove from a 55 gallon drum.
    Huge firebox.  It was easy to get a burn of 12, 15 hours in that thing.  You could burn fresh cut green wood and it ran just fine.
    The pipe was just a s*** rig, a single wall pipe that went out a window and up.  I was a dumb college boy, lucky I didn't burn the house down.  

Well, now I have a new Jotul stove.  It didn't cost $53 for the kit like the Sotz, it cost $2600.   The pipe is mostly double wall, and the pipe alone cost $740.
    You can't run the pipe up 3 feet,  then a 90 and out the window for five feet, and then a ninety and up.  Modern stoves don't like 90 degree bends and probably will not draw right with a 90.
    And the wood!   If you are burning oak you will have to dry it for 2, or even 3 years!   Gotta get an electronic moisture meter at Lowes and test the moisture content, gotta get it down to 17 percent.   You get your Jotul all burning great with your pine kindling, and you load it up with green oak, the fire will smolder and then go out.  It will just sit there and smolder.  No green wood for the modern stoves.
    Here is my old Sotz.  I had one made from the 55 gallon drum, and one from a 30 gallon drum.

So why do I have a "modern stove?"   For starters the girfriend hates the Sotz!   Says it is ugly!  Women, go figure.
    It looks beautiful to me that door is 11 inches wide and the fire box is 32 inches long!

The new stoves are much more efficient than the Sotz, or the old Fisher Mama Bear I'm sure most of you guys have seen a Mama Bear or Papa Bear.   These old wood stoves were about 45 to 50 percent efficient.    Meaning, if you had potentially 1,000 BTU of heat in a pile of wood, the Sotz would only put 450 BTU into the room, the rest of the heat went up the pipe.
    The Jotul is 75 percent efficient.   It would put 750 BTU into the room.   So  you need a lot less firewood to heat the house with the new stoves.
    Also my Jotul has a huge glass door and the view of the fire is just outstanding, love to watch it.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Allen my friend down at the end of our road is a Master Fabricator and Welder. Has his own shop. (Used to be in charge of maintenance for Boeing in Atlanta.) He has a wood stove he made in his basement out of a old heavy guage 4-500 gal Propane tank. Huge. He can probably put 4' logs in that thing. Custom heat retention shield over it funneling the air upstairs. Ingenious.

My Dad used to have a Carolina Woodstove in the basement where multiple water pipes run through it, then through baseboards. That puppy could also take 3' logs. 1st full on Solar house. (House within a house design.) In our County. My Dad designed it and built it, (I helped the 1st year out of the Army 1984, when construction got underway.)

• Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    My sil is coming up soon ( from AL.!)! with a load of wood !!!
    I will give him gas $$$ : ( apx. $100 ) ???
    Cheap heat for the winter ( mild I do hope ) !!!!!
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    84, check your spellin.
    Carolina Water stoves were and are the most wood and fuel wasting methods of heat known to man.