In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gunbroker rifle purchase; serial number on rifle & bolt don’t match...is it a problem & what to do??

WhiteWater721WhiteWater721 Member Posts: 1
edited October 2020 in Ask the Experts
In the last two weeks, I purchased a Winchester 70, featherweight, left handed, in .270WSM.  The rifle was manufactured sometime between 2002 and 2006 but was sold like new in the original box and had not been fired.  I am relatively new to gun ownership.  After receiving the rifle I printed out an owners manual from Winchester wherein one of the steps says to make sure the serial number on the rifle matches the one on the bolt.  For this rifle, the serial number on the rifle does not appear to match the serial number on the bolt but the numbers are really close....8710 is stenciled on the bolt but the last four digits on the rifle are 8780.  Is this a problem,  is it possible it was just a mistake at the factory and what do I do about it?  Thanks in advance for your advice.  
PS I have reached out to the seller to get his thoughts/help.  Other than that the rifle appears exactly as advertised.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    possible factory error, back then Win. was pushing everything they could out the door. a headspace check would be nice but finding a gunsmith with a .270 wsm headspace gage might be a problem.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Winchester went belly up in 2006. They were pushing everything out the door, as fast as they could, prior to that. 99% of that stuff in the owners manual, is cover your butt lawyer speak.

To give you piece of mind. Get a old tire and fasen the rifle to it with  bungies. Attach a 10' string to the trigger. Fire 20 rounds that way. From behind cover. If the rifle has problems, you will find out quick.
  • GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    Take a new case, and partly seat a primer. Close bolt on primed case and ck. the primer protusion.
    Should measure less than .006. If more have a gunsmith ck it out. jmo