In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AMT AutoMag II in 22 LR (correction - 22 WMR)

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Ask the Experts

Am having an issue with the firing pin on an AMT AutoMag II firing pin that I'm pretty sure requires a full disassembly to include the decocker. The FP doesn't pop back to full reset, protruding enough for the hammer to set it off - pretty sure there's a broken spring in there.

Also, looking at the underside of the slide there's a vertical pin (not the extractor) on the left side of the slide. There's no tension on it and it seems to me there should be.

Any special tools required, do I need to remove the rear sight? Has anyone disassembled and can advise?

I like project guns, just didn't realize this was going to be one when I bought it. Already took care of the hammer following the slide and no reset. 

Oops - yes, 22 WMR.

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

Well, I jumped in on my own and figured out the problem.  May help someone else, so here goes ….

FP removal is easy - remove the rear sight.  That vertical pin retains the FP and just drops out.   Then pull out the FP and spring.  The reason mine was getting stuck was either a burr or peened edge to the FP block impeding FP reset.  That good ol' "AMT QC problems" we've all heard about over the years.  A few swipes with a small round file and all is well.