In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W model 53 but not stamped

Greg Greg Member Posts: 3

Hoping to get some info as we are stumped. I have a S&W 22 jet, barrel is marked 22 mag, 6" barrel, blue with diamond grips. I know this is a model 53, but it is not stamped with the model only the serial number. I can't seem to find any info on a pre-53 or info on 53's not marked. Any ideas?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    The barrel marking is correct. The first 53's date to 1961, SN range K 429,000. This was about 4 years after Smith started marking the model numbers, under the crane. The early production had 4 screw frames. 

Does your hammer, have the 2 firing pins for rimfire and centerfire?

Give us your SN range?

They weren't popular, and in production for a relatively short time span.  
  • Greg Greg Member Posts: 3

Yes hammer has the two firing pins. I will get the serial number tomorrow, but pretty sure it was K429,xxx. I believe our research dated it as 1961 too.

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Greg said:

Yes hammer has the two firing pins. I will get the serial number tomorrow, but pretty sure it was K429,xxx. I believe our research dated it as 1961 too.

If your SN is in the K 429,000 range? Would be a very early production. But still 4 years after Smith started marking them with model numbers. My WAG is that its a factory screw up? Given that it's a first year, probably a early production Model 53. 

Might have added value to a collector of Smiths. Who collects factory anomalies?
  • Greg Greg Member Posts: 3

Thank you for your help, Greg.

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    S&Ws with mismarked model designations under the crane aren't all that unusual.  Was looking at a Model 25 45 Colt  with 8 3/8" bbl this weekend that was frame stamped Model 29.  I've heard some folks pay a bit more for such things, not a lot though.  That S&W would miss stamping entirely - not a surprise, but may be worth something extra.