In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bolt K-98 ??

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
Hello

Is this a well polished bolt with a modified handle or is it a commercial production?
I have acquired two of them and they are identical without  'markings'.

thanks for the help

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    Judging from the military safety, I would say it's not commercial production.  The flat shape on the shank also leads me to believe it's a converted military bolt.  Still, it looks like nice work.
  • jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Hello

Yes they do look nice and thanks for the tips.
    They are lacking and markings, but I guess they have been buffed out.

take care and thanks again for your help on the ID ☺
  • hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    Great Job on the  98 Conversion from the military bolt handle. Still going to be  desirable. $$$
    Looks like  a CZ in the  Cocking piece.
    Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent pictures of your bolt! This is a great example of the quality we ask for when trying to answer questions about parts or firearms. Thank you for the effort!

I'm going to disagree to a small extent.
    The flag safety was standard on all M98 Mauser rifles whether commercial or military. These were the standard 3-position safety. This was obviously before the wide scale use of optics on the receiver because the safety wouldn't pass under lower mounted scopes.

If you remove the bolt handle from the discussion, the bolt body, firing pin assembly and extractor are exactly the same for all M98 Mausers. This doesn't include the variants, of course. It's the bolt handle which can help determine the model or time frame of the bolt/action. The straight handle was most common, the bent handle and finally all the conversions which allow for optics. I didn't see the 'CZ' on the cocking piece even after blowing the photo up but that's not to say that it's not there.
    Note the flag safety.
    Later Mauser versions had bent bolt handles and some of the earlier carbines and short rifles had them for use on horseback so there is a wide variety.

Best.

• jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to all that replied.
    Interesting comments and technical information.
    Much appreciated and stay a
    safe.

jpc
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    OK : 
    I really need one of those bolts ? If so inclined ? Please contact Me ! Will bid if needed ???
    Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?