The odd change when getting RX from the VA

us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,589 ✭✭✭✭
I've received Rx from the VA pharmacy for years - ordered via mail or on the VA website for refills.

Some Rx for blood pressure, etc. have been dispensed 90 tablets that will last for 90 days.

Recently, sent in for a refill and only received 30 tabs for 30 day supply.  Inquired as to why.  First was told that is how the pharmacy is doing it now. 

I responded that it was a waste of taxpayer funds to triple to overhead costs of prescriptions with triple the expense for containers, labels, packaging and postage plus labor.

A few days later, received a follow up message that the VA is doing that because there is a "shortage of medications."

Have you noticed a change in your VA prescriptions from getting a 90 day supply cut back to a 30 day supply and having to request refills every month instead of only 4 times a year?
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    Quite the opposite.  My prescription for one medications was sent to me (without a request from me) in a 90 day supply.  It just showed up in the mail one day.  I wondered what it was since I had not requested a refill. 

On the other hand, I have developed the practice of requesting refills long before I calculate I will run out.  Not that the medication is that important, but I just don't want to run out.
  • us55840us55840 Member Posts: 31,589 ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps different areas of the country are having a shortage ?
    Regardless, that is what an RN from the VA posted to my message about only getting a 30 day supply instead of a 90 day supply.   
    Take it for what it's worth ... only passing on what the RN at the VA informed me when inquired.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their revolutionary right to overthrow it." Abraham Lincoln
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    I will readily agree that the service at the VA can vary greatly from one to the other. 

I hear horror stories from other veterans on the care they receive.  I could not be more pleased with the care I receive. 

Things are different from place to place.  You can't even expect to get the same cheeseburger from one McDonald's to the other.

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭
    VA told me that there is a nationwide shortage for several meds...And the 90 day refills are now 30 day...Maybe those meds are made in China???
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN