In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1890 22 LR Receiver

hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Ask the Experts
Which part of the  Winchester  1890 is the   Serial number  firearm.
Front or  Rear?   Both have  serial numbers.  Found  some  stuff and trying I need to log it in or not.
Also  1897 / 39 Marlin
Assume its the  one that the barrel  is attached too?

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Just looked at mine, both are the same but I would assume that the one in front of the trigger guard has to be the real serial number that would be the one to book.  For the 1890.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    A receiver is a receiver, and a barrel attaches to the receiver.  Then again, Winchester lever guns have the serial on the lower tang, and that's a removable trigger assembly, that can be swapped out with another gun. So I don't know for sure, and since the ATF makes their own rules and laws as they go, you have to think like they do. But that would involve a fifth of alcohol, and several blows to the head with a ball peen hammer.
  • Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭✭
    TRAP55 said:
    A receiver is a receiver, and a barrel attaches to the receiver.  Then again, Winchester lever guns have the serial on the lower tang, and that's a removable trigger assembly, that can be swapped out with another gun. So I don't know for sure, and since the ATF makes their own rules and laws as they go, you have to think like they do. But that would involve a fifth of alcohol, and several blows to the head with a ball peen hammer.
    That's what  got me thinking its the  part that attaches to the barrel. But.....?
    I opened a drawer and  four  6-8 upper and lowers Winchester 1890 and  Marlin 1897 in 22 LR. Kind of  confused how to handle these and possibly sell them.
    Have not  cleaned  them.  Not  great  Shape. But  usable.Here's a few pix's.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron