In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

R L Shockey 1911.

MontyMonty Member Posts: 3

Got this from a friend who was scaird of it due to the really light trigger. To be honest I am too. grin

Its a Government model 1911, made in 1960.

It was modified by R L Shockey sometime around then.

From what I have been able to dig up it is the real thing.

Can someone give me an idea what it is worth. I do NOT want to do anything other then clean it up a little bit, (make that a lot) and sell it to someone who will apricate it even more then I do for what it is.

Thanks in advance

for any help

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Hard call! He was a well known Oklahoma pistol smith back in the day. Wasn't as highly regarded as Swenson or Frank Pachmeyr though.

Personally the file marks? On the muzzle bushing would turn me off. Doubtful that Shockey would have let it leave his shop like that. Means to me that Bubba most likely has worked his magic on it, for whatever reason?

Some folks who collect Bullseye guns, like the late Perry Shooter would be your best bet. Sorry to say, a standard Colt commercial Government Model made in 1960, would sell a lot faster and for more money, IMHO.

• Options
    MontyMonty Member Posts: 3

Thanks for the comment. I was really turned off on that also. Someone didn't know anything about that kind of bushing.

Again, thanks

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Those .45's were usually tuned for either Hardball 230 grain full power ammo, or 185 grain Wadcutter ammo. Either a standard spring for Hardball or a reduced spring (coils cut off) for Wadcutter. Factory loaded Mid-Range Wadcutter ammo is SUPPOSED to function with the standard spring.