What's YOUR longest game shot?

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,172 ✭✭✭✭

Mine is 5,750 yards! With a Turbo-Max-Ultra-MAX .750 Magnum Deluxe...ultra Extra! LOLOL!! Just kidding! No where near that.

Seriously though, my longest game shot was about 297 yards on a Muley (it might have been 300, but I think not). Dad took an elk at about 455 yards with a .338 Win Mag, and that's the longest shot I've ever seen in person. Dad told me about a guy who took down an antelope on a dead run at 405 yards, but I'm not really sure I believe that shot. (an antelope on a dead run at 100 yards would be a hard shot!)

I see all these guys hitting stuff at 1,000 meters, and I can only dream about hitting something that far out.

So honestly, what is your longest shot on game?

I've hit a 18" steel gong at 400m in a very controlled environment, and even gotten on the target at 1,000 meters on a range, but that took a few shots, and probably a lot of luck too.

Here's your chance to brag it up!

Comments

• Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,172 ✭✭✭✭

I did hit a 12" steel gong with a .223 at 318 yards once with iron sights with an AR-15. I thought that was pretty good. 318 was as far as we could get before the cactus got too ugly. I'm sure a lot of guys can hit way further than that with iron sights, but that was my best.

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member Posts: 9,296 ✭✭✭

cow elk at just short of 800 yrds. plotted via satellite pix. .338 win. mag., 3rd mil dot

I'd probably never make a good goat hunter.

Kind of disappointed about that.

I've got this 'sorta' buddy who's wife is an airline pilot (and sugar momma), and he goes on these major guided hunts every year. I always hear about these fantastic shots. To be honest, I'm not really sure who is really shooting the animals I hear the stories about. Maybe he's really that good, but I've spent a lot of time above the treeline and hunting up there is not easy...at all!

So many times I've been out pheasant hunting in Kansas and jumped big bucks and does just laying down. They'd be at 50-70 yards and easy shots...if I was deer hunting.

I always hear about so many stories of guys getting deer and elk at short ranges, but that's never happened for me. I mean, not a lot. I got a few at short range, but nothing notable really.

There are so many hunting "bravado" stories, and I wish I had one, but I don't. I have more stories of walking around for days in the mountains of Wyoming and not seeing anything. Maybe I'm just a bad hunter, but I don't think so.

• MillironMilliron Member Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hit a running coyote right behind his left ear at 360 yards. Where there is lead there is danger. I saw an older friend of mine shoot a running antelope at 380 yards. Savage 99 in 284Win. He grew up herding sheep every day. Carried a rifle constantly. Back in the 50s when you could kill 100 jack rabbits a day. That's how you get "proficient". No doubt luck plays into it, but he is the "luckiest" guy I ever hunted with. He is 85 now. Hasn't hunted the last 4 years. I miss him.

Longest shot I ever saw was my best buddy who picked off a crow on top of a telephone pole...10 poles away!

He said he could do it, I stopped the truck and dared him, he pulled out his .300 Wby Mag and <poof> ...just feathers! Damn near blew out my windshield in my truck, but he hit that damn bird, and we laughed for miles and miles after that!!

I'm pretty sure that was at least 5-600 yards. I never could have hit that bird!

• chmechme Member Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

White tailed deer, right at 1200 meters. Ft. Benning GA, using a M2 HB- a .50 cal Browning machine gun. Had just gotten the gun dialed in on target, using tripod with the T&E mechanism. Fired a long burst- about 10 rounds- and a stupid deer ran out from behind the APC hulk that was my target- and right into the APIT rounds we were shooting.

There have been no appeals. But we did keep real quiet about it.

• austin20austin20 Member Posts: 28,028 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21

Fade away jumper from just behind the mid court line ....at the buzzer

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 62,977 ✭✭✭✭

Cute Redhead in my 61 Corvette.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭

My longest shot on a mule deer was at about 200 yards.

I once hit a running coyote (running straight away) at 400+yards. Smacked him right in the back of the head with the .270.

I've taken a dozen elk (two of those with a bow) and the longest shot was right at 30 yards, the closest was 6.

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭

I forget the exact numbers, but well over 300 yards on a muley doe. One shot, from a 14" Contender in .30 Herrett. 125 Ballistic Tip. I was able to lie down into a Creedmore-like stance. Held a foot over her back.

Yeah, I could hardly believe it, either. But she took two steps and keeled over.

I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭

376 yards to a coyote sitting on to of a round bale of hay . Rolled him off pretty as you please .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • ridgleyartridgleyart Member Posts: 98 ✭✭

400 yards on a whitetail using my .30-06 loaded with 180 grain Nosler Partitions, DRT.

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 15,507 ✭✭✭✭

Im Not much of a hunter.

I hit a coyote @ about 50yards with a Browning Hi-Power once while camping.

edited November 21

Now that IS a long shot!

I once picked up a cute redhead AND about a 6'1" Amazon who looked like Joan Jett's twin in my '78 Trans Am.

Then, went to jail over a flipping parking ticket about an hour after that! <sigh> Things were really looking up, right up until that point! LOL!!

• savage170savage170 Member Posts: 36,518 ✭✭✭

Another hunter wounded a small buck on our farm I took a last chance shot across a wide field with a 30-30 at it before it made to a part of the farm where we would have never found it back. It was the luckiest shot I ever made I aimed for the top of his back and made perfect heart shot DRT

• William81William81 Member Posts: 20,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November 24

I lived in Illinois for almost 50 years so we only hunted with Slug Guns......After moving to MO after I retired I have had the opportunity to hunt with a rifle. Longest shot so far is a tad over 250 yards on a whitetail doe. I have taken a yote at just under 300 yards.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭✭

Used to be big in to hunting Groundhogs. My longest shot was a head out only, shot at 300 yards +/- with my Uncles .243 Remington Semi Auto w/a nice scope. Have a photo somewhere in my stuff of me holding that Groundhog and the rifle. (I was 15 yrs old) Not sure of the model # of the Remington. If I could locate the photo and post, some here would recognize the model.

Handgun's a Maple leaf floating in the pond behind my house. 75-100 yards. 😂

Extreme NE TN/W NC ya'll. 😁

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭

All those long shots are very impressive! I once shot at a rabbit that was running about 25 yards away with my single shot 4\10. I know I had missed because the shot I took was from the hip and the gun seemed to go off before I really reached the point I wanted. As I walked up to where the rabbit was, there he lay! Dead!

The autopsy proved cause of death had to have been a heart attack! 💘

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭

I killed a sleeping coyote at .3 miles measured on the snowmobile speedometer. Another standing yote at 540 yards measured with a rangefinder. A sitting coyote at just under 600 measured by the number of fence posts between us. A cow elk at 500+ and a deer at something over 550(not sure on these cause the rangefinders wouldn't range that far so just got the longest yardage it would display and added some.Killed several coyotes at 1/4

mile when the wind was calm. All of these were first round hits. Walking bullets onto a target may work for artillery but not when hunting critters.

• randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Took a elk last year at 690 yards with a 300 WM.

Son took an elk at 710 yards with 6.5x47 Lapua.

Furthest whitetail was 360 yards with 30-06

• jimdeerejimdeere Member Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭

I made a three pointer at the buzzer from half court in high school .

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 62,977 ✭✭✭✭

Killed a deer with a 3/4 ton dodge.. I was running 70mph

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭

Antelope at 548 yards with a 257 Wby..

• Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭

When I was in high school I carried my Mountie while plowing.

After a long boring day of seeing nothing I was walking back to my pickup and jumped a jack rabbit.

They usually stop about 250 yards away and watch you but this one kept going and I decided to make sure he got in high gear so I swung the Mountie up and took a shot.

Rabbit went tumbling. 250 paces.

60 years ago? :) weren't young eyes great?

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Slapshot from the blue line, high on the blocker side, just between his shoulder and helmet.

BRRRRRTTT! Bonus points for knocking his water bottle off the top shelf.

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭

Only killed one deer in my life. Mule deer at maybe 40 yards with a .270 Win. Left a softball sized exit hole in his chest(shot him broadside but it exited under his throat). He ran about 100 yards before piling up. I could have shot him with a handgun at that range. Glad he was close as I am not a great long range shooter.

• Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 5,938 ******

156 yards with my Savage 12 gauge on-a whitetail doe someone had blown a front leg knee out on. Mercy shot. Dropped her.

96 yards on another whitetail doe with my Ruger Super Redhawk topped with a 2 power Nikon.

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Half mile (by odometer) on a sleeping antelope ...Missed the first shot just above his head...woke him up but he stayed laying down...he was DRT on the second shot...3006...125gr...Best eating antelope I ever had!!!

Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
  • TcattTcatt Member Posts: 337 ✭✭

Killed a flushing quail with a thrown stick

Killed a squirrel running flat out at 40 to 50 yards with a RWS .177 Pellet Rifle

Hit my shirtless friend square between the shoulder blades with a skeet from a hand thrower; dropped him like a thunderbolt.

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 12,561 ✭✭✭✭

"Hit my shirtless friend square between the shoulder blades with a skeet from a hand thrower; dropped him like a thunderbolt."

I do believe I'd like to hear the rest of that story!!!😂

• lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭

I shot a small whitetail buck at 250 yards with a 12 gauge slug. Drilled him right through the heart. He was drt. Of course the day before at dawn I missed an 8 point buck that was standing broadside to me at about 15 feet. He jumped straight up and turned as if to run the other way but stopped and stood there looking at me. My next shot was right where it was supposed to go.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 10,052 ✭✭✭

It probably started something like, "hold my beer, watch this"...

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member Posts: 59,619 ✭✭✭✭

A doe at 400 yards or so. I don't know but it was about that. Much past that and you aren't hunting.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭

North of Kotzebue AK on a winter Caribou hunt. It was about 30 MPH winds from hell and near 15 below zero. I shot AT the lead caribou in a line of five walking up a hill. I estimated the distance at 250 yards, holding high and a bit in front for wind. I killed the second caribou in line hitting it in the neck.

After seeing what my 30-06 loads were doing on the chrono I estimated the yardage at some where around 575. I had to hold several feet high and 2/3's of a caribou in front to hit the others. I shot a total of 18 times to kill all five caribou.....

End result, distance is HARD to judge in the frozen expanse of tundra and wind blows the crap out of a bullet, it was a humbling experience for me. I was and still am a one shot one kill sortta guy.

@bpost - SW Wyoming is that way also, especially hunting antelope. Before rangefinders I can remember taking a shot at an antelope at what I thought was about 250 yards, only to watch the bullet hit the dirt well short and right of the target. Measured it off and it was well over 500 yards, and the wind was blowing it's normal 800mph.

• montanajoemontanajoe Member, Moderator Posts: 51,126 ******

Yep, cause you didn't run him. Didn't have that adrenalin rush in the meat. Good job.