Doing anything special for Thanksgiving???

Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,172 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing how everything is so weird, are you and your closest loved ones doing any kinds of special or crazy different things for Thanksgiving this year?

I'm not talking about people, but the food.

The last few years we've tried to do something totally different for Thanksgiving. Generally we still do a turkey of some sort, but all the sides are open for different stuff. And, even the turkey is open for different preparations.

Historically we've always brined and BBQ / smoked our turkeys on the Weber, but in the last couple years we've done a spatchcocked turkey (which was really nice). This year I we're doing a spatchcocked creole turkey on the Traeger.

In my family the tradition was always stuffed turkey, mashed taters, squash, boiled onions and a squash pie, and a mince meat pie. Oh, and giblet gravy (which I cannot stand!).

Since the 'family' has pretty much been decimated, the wife and I try to do some fun stuff every year.

So we'll do the Creole seasoned smoked turkey (spatchcocked) over a bed of celery, bell peppers and carrots. The turkey is my responsibility. The wife picked out some tempura fried lobster tails with a creole mustard rumalade sauce. Shoe's doing homemade cranberry sauce (wow, very tart), and a cranberry cheesecake topped with candied pecans for dessert.

Oh yeah, and we'll have some mashed Yukon golds too. And, for stuffing she's making some cornbread stuffing cupcakes.

Now, shamefully (I guess), I really like the green bean casserole dish (and she hates it). So we came up with a compromise. She's going to make some fried onion shells, inside of which there will be green beans and mushroom soup...topped with fried green onions and bell peppers.

It sounds like a lot, but it's not really. There will be enough for some good turkey sammiches for a couple days and it will be gone. Sadly, no turkey soup really this year.

Comments

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

spend all day giving the governor the finger

• Flying Clay DiskFlying Clay Disk Member Posts: 35,172 ✭✭✭✭

Did a test run on the tempura tonight with some cod and scallops, and it was less than desirable IMO.

I wound up peeling it off and eating the fish by itself. I'm not a big batter guy...at all.

Wife is mad at me now because I didn't like it, but hey, I just didn't, so I'm not gonna lie.

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 6,486 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are the oldest generation in both of our families, so that really cut down on the size of the turkey day festivities. Our daughter and her family won't be coming up, so Janet and I will fix the typical Thanksgiving meal, just smaller portions. This is the only day of the year when I throw caution to the winds and eat whatever and how much I want, diabetes be damned.

The funny thing is, that I don't wind up eating any more than I usually do and my blood sugar is normal the next morning. This year being what it is, almost seems normal to just have the 2 of us here. It's a good thing we get along so well.😁

• scooterdriverscooterdriver Member Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Nope. Staying small, staying safe.