In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

For Military Knife Experts.

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

Dad enlisted in the Navy when he turned 17 and when the hostilities had ended. Since he was both an orphan and a minor his eldest sister signed for him. He later carried his service knife deer hunting for about 15 years until he obtained a used Marbles Safety Folder which he carried for about the next 25 years when his health prevented him from hunting. Dad gave the Mark I Colonial when I was about 15 but carried it only a few years.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the service knife on eBay. There appears to have been many makers of US Navy fighting knives in the WWII era. Most had stacked leather handles and blood grooves. About 2/3rds had metal sheaths with the rest being leather. Roughly about half of the sheaths were stitched with rivets. The rest were only stitched, Dad's knife lacks the blood groove and has a plastic handle. The sheath has crossed wire "stitching" sans rivets.

Are dad's knife and sheath kind of rare?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭

How much it has been altered or worn from original issue condition, would have a great influence on present value. Need quality close-up photos for identification and accurate valuation.

Likely if your dad used it deer hunting for 15 years. Even with the best of care, it would show substantial wear.

• victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

Thank you RS. The knife and sheath are far from pristine and the present value is not a concern to me. Based on my years of experience collecting coins, I realize that rare does not mean it is pursued by collectors or carry a large premium.  You are correct that condition is everything.

I am just curious whether knife with the plastic handle or the sheath with the wire stitching are rare.

Jim

• love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

Is it stamped USN?

• victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭

Yes, both the knife and sheath are stamped USN.