In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good optical sight for an AR?

Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭

LOML would like to know she's capable of defending herself at our new home out in the country.

I think an optical site would make it simple for her to learn to shoot; she's never done any rifle shooting.

What make and model would you guys suggest for a budget starter sight?

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 can be found for around three bills

• Options
    jkbt1jkbt1 Member Posts: 220 ✭✭✭

For your intended task I’d forget a scope and go with a red dot. I really like the Aimpoint PRO on an AR. They are in the $400 range.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

I agree with the red dot comment.

Vortex Strikefire II. The Bushnell MP red/green T-dot is also very nice. (Intuitive reticle.)

*Both in the $200 range.

• Options

I like the Aimpoint because of its small 2 moa dot. Not sure what the others have. The Aimpoint mount is hard to beat also.

A red dot , I think , will be easier for a new shooter. Less importance on how the red dot is used vs a scope with its unlimited eye relief.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,454 ✭✭✭✭

For around 80.00 the Bushnell TR25 is a decent red dot to try to see if she likes a red dot. I put a vortex prism sight on one of mine that I like. I believe it is 3X it is kind of like a hybrid of a red dot and a scope

• Options

Maybe others experience with eotech is different from mine but here’s my experience...

My brother runs eotech and the dot/crosshairs all look fuzzy like you’re looking through bathroom glass. The Aimpoint dot is crisp. The new gen Aimpoint batteries also last for years while leaving the unit on. I dont need a unit that “eats batteries “ and is low on juice when you go to use it or dead if forgotten to be turned off. I need a unit that works when I pick it up.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Sig Romeo 5 is a nice red dot sight.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭

You don't have to spend XXX$ for a good useable optic but you do have to decide on dot optic or crosshairs. For use under 100 yards at targets exposed and easily visible, the dot optic is hard to beat. For longer distances or targets partially obscured, a low power scope is better.

The TR25 is an OK budget priced dot optic but SigSauer has a very good dot sight for under $100 that has a 20K hour battery life and a good reputation. I prefer the Burris AR 332 which has a scribed reticle, 3x magnification, AND illumination which pretty much makes it universal. It's always ready and doesn't require "turning on" plus still works with or w/o battery.

The "shake awake" dot sights are a good option for less experienced operators--will be "on" if needed and won't end up with a dead battery if put away w/o being manually turned off.

• Options
    gp52555gp52555 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

A bit pricey but I love my Meprolight MOR.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I agree gp52555. I held back from saying anything, but the Meprolight M20P is an excellent "always on" site. Gathers light during the day, seemlesly switches to tritium in dim/no light. It is a Holographic site, available with a wide range of reticles. I chose an X reticle. Runs about $400.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

VORTEX Venom red dot with the 6 moa @

$249. an excellent choice and would fit your needs at a very reasonable cost and has a 100% warranty can't beat that with a stick !

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Wild Turkey said:

"....defending herself at our new home out in the country.

..... she's never done any rifle shooting...."

Are we talking self/home defense (in the house and/or yard) from critters as well as the possible dopehead looking for money, guns, and medication at an elderly couple's remote home.

Red Dot!

However, if this situation evolves into, "Grab your rifle and shoot that big buck chasing that doe down by the pond!" and she becomes proficient with her rifle (and she will), another rifle with a scope may be in order.

I tried a red dot on a couple of my hunting rifles but had to revert back. Too course for hunting. But worked out well because I moved the red dots to a 10mm handgun and a Keltech Sub2000 carbine used for self defense duty.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭

Sig Sauer ROMEO. 20,000 hour battery life excellent optics. PMA had them for 119 bucks.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭

Another vote for the Romeo5......great optic for the money.

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

I have 3 Romeo5's..........they are EXCELLENT for the money.