In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington Model 30s magazine follower

Kingfisher1Kingfisher1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

Is there anyone out there with a Mod 30s (in any of the rimless cartridges: .25 .30 or .32 Rem) who might be able to help me out with a photo and/or measurements for the magazine follower? Got a gun but not a follower and having trouble fabricating one that will feed properly. Thanx in advance. Bob R.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

I'd suggest starting with a m-1917 follower and adding a 'shim' to the working face..........just a thought

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

I have Remington 30's in .25, .30, & .35 but I've not been able to figure how to post photos here. I can take pics and email if I had an address. Or I could take measurements and compare to Springfield or 1917 followers.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

As stated by MW above, the Mod 30 is just a civilian version of the US Mod 1917 Enfield 39-06 rifle. A M1917 follower should work (that is stated in BOLT ACTION RIFLES). If it does not feed properly a spacer can be added to the front or rear of the follower for shorter cartridges. Also a bevel can be filed on the rear of the magazine to allow closing the bolt on an empty magazine. Good luck.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

damn trapp, that's just too easy ;-)

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭

You could make one out of a Model 1917 follower or a 1903 Springfield follower. They are identical (at least the ones I have). I checked the ones from my .25 Rem. and the .30 Rem. and compared them to the one from my 1917. If you'd cut .217" from the rear of the 1917 follower and .270" from the front, you'd about have it with a part 2.875" long. One of my followers is slightly radiused at the front and the other is just left square so I guess that doesn't matter. Remington did add a small round spacer at the left rear of the part that holds the back of the follower below the left receiver rail. You will note the small hole in the rib at the back of the part pictured by Numrich. That's there to hold the spacer. I believe the only purpose of that spacer is to facilitate bolt travel with an empty magazine so you'd probably get by without it.

But with the current high price of original military parts and a follower available for $18.75, it doesn't make sense to try to make one. If you bought a 1917 or 1903 follower, it would probably cost more than that.

Those model 30's are interesting rifles; built as much as possible with Remington's left over WWI military parts. It looks to me that even the early front sights are made from the military part. But the two I have in .30/06 have 4-groove right hand twist barrels; not the 5-groove left hand of the 1917. So, obviously, Remington didn't use left over military barrels (or they ran out of them!).

• Options
    Kingfisher1Kingfisher1 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭

Thanks to everybody for you help on this. Your help should contribute to a successful project!

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

Mike, Too easy! 1st source I checked. Went there to see what their price was on a Rem700 follower, because I've heard they could be used as a substitute. Checked the 30 parts, and got that surprise.

The Rem 30 has an interesting history. Winchester figured out the metallurgy and stopgap design of the M1917, and Remington cashed in on it. Using the .25,.30, and .32 Remington chambers (rimless Winchester cartridges) looks like salt in the wound to me. Never have found anything about if Rem had to pay any kind of royalties to Win.