In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 100 Recall

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

I believe there was a recall on these rifles. Does anyone remember what the problem was?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

In 1990, Winchester issued a recall for this rifle due to a tendency for the firing pin to stick and protrude proud of the bolt face, causing the rifle to fire with the action not fully locked, leading to possible catastrophic failure and risk of severe injury or death to the shooter.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

I have seen something similar happen with other Winchester rifles. The most common cause seems to be too much dry firing slamming the firing pin forward with no primer to cushion it. I've seen a number of model 1894s that the tip of the firing pin wedged itself into the hole in the bolt face and broke off of the main part of the pin.

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the quick response. I don't suppose there is any way to tell if a rifle has been repaired, nor is there any way to get them fixed, now.

We were talking deer hunting after church last Sunday and two of the guys mentioned they had 100's.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited December 2020

the firing pin had a tendency to break, then jamb forward and the next round would 'slam' fire, wrecking the receiver, stock and trigger group (and possibly the shooter). the 'fix' was to replace the firing pin with one that had an oval cross section and the round cam roller. to check if the mod. has been done you have to dis-assemble the bolt, if the firing pin is 'round' (not oval) it hasn't been done. I believe the recall is ongoing, you have to send in the old firening pin to get the replacement. call 800-852-5734  with your serial number and they will give you instruction.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Besides customer service, and eyeballing the firing pin, there is another quick check (I do not guarantee this- if it is wrong I have 3 folks that will swear I was playing poker with them)

Remove magazine. Turn rifle so that the rifle is upside down. Shine a light in the mag well, retract the bolt. Now look down thru the mag well, at the top of the receiver, right above where the bolt would be when in battery. Rifles that had the recall performed (replacement of the FP) got a letter stamped in that area. Can't recall what letter, but it varied depending on which contact shop did the service.

EDIT- Found ths:

The difference in the old firing pin and the new one is as follows.  The old replaced style, was totally lathe tuned (round).  While the new recall style is similar in lathe turning on the front and back, but in the front midsection it has two flats milled, one on each side.  This makes the center section stronger.  Also replaced is the bolt sleeve lock pin  (firing pin guide) which was made to accommodate this different shaped firing pin

Part number  for the new parts are, firing pin =1391ND, bolt sleeve locking pin =1491ND

The word was at the time this recall was in process was that if the firing pin would break at the mid section and still remain in the gun as two pieces, the possibility of a premature discharge before the bolt was locked was possible.  This apparently was caused by the firing pin tip (now not having the benefit of the retracting spring) to be stuck forward, and thereby slam-firing the cartridge upon chambering.

The responsibility for the recall apparently was on Olin, as they were the parent company AT THE TIME manufacture.  Olin set up regional recall centers at three established US gunshops. There was a manufacturing delay in the replacement firing pins, and a BACKLOG occurred, also some collectors did not like the idea of shipping their guns long distances.  Olin then also authorized other warranty gunshops to make the required alterations.  Upon completion of the recall, the shops were to test fire the firearm and to stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen thru the magazine well with the bolt retracted. The letter “B” represented Bolsa Gunsmithing, “L” was Lefever, and “N” was for Nu-line Guns.  The letter “X” apparently was for all the other authorized shops.  However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project.  Therefore, the only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it.  If it does rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS NOT been performed. 

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

"However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project"............I replaced many of the firing pins and was never told to stamp anything to indicate this.

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭

Ive got two of them, firing pins replaced, and nothing stamped and never heard of it until I read this here.