In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping to a C&R FFL Holder

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in Ask the Experts

Sold a pistol on the auction side and it is on the C&R eligible list. Can I, as a private seller, ship this pistol to a C&R licensee in AZ or must I ship thru a local FFL dealer to the buyer? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

You can ship directly and without the use of an FFL. Understand that only dealers (Type 01 FFL) and manufacturers (Type 07 FFL) may use the US Mail for to ship handguns. You'll have to use UPS or FedEx, both of which require shipping by air. Expect sticker shock when you see their fees.

• Options

Thank you sir, I imagine next day air by UPS will be very expensive! It would probably make sense for me to ship thru a dealer and just pay the transfer fee of $25 plus priority mail flat rate medium box.

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

A large number of non licensed individuals do exactly that. I handled two such mailings in the past 3 months. Instead of cash, my fee was 9mm ammo!

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Above is correct- but I would point out that a C&R IS a FFL- it is a type 03 FFL. A Dealer is a type 01 FFL, a pawnbroker a type 2 FFL, etc.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭

i do it for customers all the time i make a bit and you save some money

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

I recommend that you ask for a copy of the buyer's drivers license, in addition to a copy of his C&R license. That's the best that you can do to make sure that you know who the buyer is, since we can't verify a C&R with ATF's Insta-Check.

Neal

EDIT: Yes, I could make a phone call to ATF, & that might make me feel better. But, I'd rather have evidence that I can pull out of my file if there's any question about my compliance with the law.

"Show it to me in black & white, & I'll take your word for it."

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

"since we can't verify a C&R with ATF's Insta-Check."............no, but you can with a simple phone call to your local atf office

• Options

Thanks everyone, I took the safe route and shipped thru a local dealer who agreed to ship to a C&R FFL. Most of the dealers in my area refuse to ship to a C&R.

• Options

I'm glad to hear that it worked out well. Now that your done it, you joined the ranks of experts on C&R shipping!