In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44 Desert Eagle info

CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭

I recently inherited a Desert Eagle (IMI made in Israel) .41/.44 mag and know next to nothing about it. Searched internet and still not even sure what model/generation it is (I, II, XIX, so on).

info I have is:

Desert Eagle- .41/.44 magnum pistol

Israel Military Industries (made in Israel)

ser # 816XX

Please, someone help me with which model, approx manufacture date, and why there’s no grip screw (I see it on others)?

Thank you for any help!

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Call Kahr Arms.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

CLINTF,

The best thing you can do to help us help you is to post some photographs; overall left and right then a few details.

This is not mine, merely an example of the model and photography:

Best.

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully this helps some got this from a old PDF file I had the pictures didn't make the transfer

DESERT EAGLE MARK XIX

Barrel - 7/8" dovetail on top with cross-slots (machined grooves) for scopes (LOOK HERE 1st)

Slide Assembly - physically larger in size than Mark VII

Safety Levers - hook shaped

Slide release - lever has three steps for ease of operation

Trigger - dual stage adjustable

Calibers -

.357 Magnum (six and ten inch barrels)

.44 Magnum (six and ten inch barrels)

.50AE (six and ten-inch barrels)

NOTE #1: These attributes are the same for all 50 caliber pistols since they are identical (VII = XIX in 50 cal)

NOTE #2: The Mark XIX Desert Eagle .50AE Magnum pistols are convertible to other Mark XIX calibers (.440) by simply switching the barrel, to go to the .44 you also need to switch the magazine and to go to the .357 you need to switch the bolt assembly, barrel and magazine.

DESERT EAGLE MARK VII

Barrel - 3/8" dovetail on top with NO cross-slots

Slide Assembly - physically smaller than Mark XIX but larger than Mark I

Safety Levers - hook shaped

Slide release - lever has three steps for ease of operation

Trigger - dual stage adjustable

Calibers -

.357 Magnum (six, ten and fourteen-inch barrels)

.41 Magnum

.44 Magnum (six, ten and fourteen-inch barrels)

NOTE : The Mark VII Desert Eagle .44 Magnum pistols are convertible to XIX. The conversion kit (part #CONV…..) consists of a complete slide assembly, barrel, gas piston, recoil spring assembly, magazine and grips. Is a costly conversion.

DESERT EAGLE MARK I

Barrel - 3/8" dovetail on top with NO cross-slots

Slide Assembly - physically smaller than Mark VII and Mark XIX

Safety Levers - triangle or "teardrop" shaped (LOOK HERE 2nd)

Slide release - lever has single step (LOOK HERE 3rd)

Trigger - single stage

Calibers - .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

I owned one in the low 4,000's, SN range, in the mid 80's. Major mistake, as it was so big and heavy,( 4 pounds loaded), it was a useless clunker. The Blue Book has a extensive section on them. Very confusing though. All the different Roman Numeral variations, made in 3 different locations by different companies. There is no breakdown by serial number. All that they do, is give minimal different physical descriptions of the various different models. To say the least, it's very confusing?

Besure to always wear eye protection, when shooting your DE. Because of it's direct gas impingement mechanism. i was always getting high pressure bullet residue from the gas port when shooting my 357. Hard to believe that a clunker like the DE, could stay in production for over 35 years.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Very popular rental gun at the range. I used to keep a shiny .50 cal but they beat themselves to death. No much recoil due to the weight of the gun. I could rent one for two years, maybe replace a piston or two and recoil springs, send it back to Magnum Research and have them rebuild whatever it needed. They might have to replace a slide and recoil springs or whatever, but for two or three hundred dollars I would be able to sell it for $ 900.00. The gun would bring in a lot of money in rental fees and ammo over a two year period. I got wise and started renting .44 Magnum instead of the .50 A&E. The same basic gun, broke a lot less, and ammo was easier to find. I see no practical use except as a range gun personally.