In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine -rear sight- ??

jpcjpc Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

Can't seem to find any markings to id it.

Would this be a repro??

thanks and stay safe

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited December 2020

I'm not a carbine expert by any means, but I do own a few with the late type sight. What you have hardly resembles any of the sights on my carbines.

• Options

Morning and thanks for the input.

It definitely does not look like those.

Happy New Year

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭

I think that you have a USGI Type III stamped steel rear sight that has been altered by Korean Army armorers & came back to the US on a BLUE SKY import.

We lend-leased the South Koreans a train load of M1 carbines during the Korean War. They continued to use the carbines after the war, but eventually they ran out of spare parts. We had no spare parts to give them, & wartime US parts makers had scrapped equipment to make them. So, the Korean Army armorers did whatever they could to keep them in service. I've seen bolts that had broken lugs welded back on, not a safe practice.

I think that your sight had the screw installed on the right side, in the place where the manufacturers ID used to be. All the extra screws & sheet metal just kept the darn thing from falling apart.

Neal

• Options

Neal

That is a great lead for me to follow and is much appreciated. It sounds very plausible and I thank you for your help.

take care, be safe and Happy New Year

jpc

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

Appears to be a 1903-A3 rear sight - range numbered 2 thru 8, female dovetail cut on bottom. If mfg by Remington marked R on the front elevation slide. Mfg by Smith Corona are generally unmarked.

• Options

That is exactly it and there is no 'R'.

Thank you for your help ☺

Be safe and all he best in the New Year