In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Forehand and Wadsworth 32 HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Forehand and Wadsworth 32 from around 1886-87 era. It is a double action revolver. The gun locks up on single action and does what it suppose to do. When working the double action, upon firing, the cylinder spins all the way around several times. I can get parts, I'm just not familiar with this gun and need to know what part to replace. Thanks for any help. I also will be asking for help on several other handguns I received. I know they are all BP and so on. Oak

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

PUT THIS IN A 'SHADOW BOX' AND SCREW IT TO A WALL, 'FIXING' IT WILL BE AN EXERSIZE IN FUTILITY.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Everything above the trigger?? 😀😀😀

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

Old timers, were hand fitted/assembled on a piecework basis. As the available parts are salvaged from other old guns, there wouldn't be any assurance that they even would fit/function.

That said. I would start off with the "V" spring, that tensions the cylinder locking bolt. There is usually a interface area between the trigger and cylinder locking bolt. Check for any serious wear between these two surfaces. One or both might have to be replaced. As noted above, replacement parts from same or similar guns, might or might not even work.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

I also will be asking for help on several other handguns I received. I know they are all BP and so on. Oak.

As long as you have more questions regarding assembly/disassembly on your inheritance, I suggest purchasing one of these books to help you assess where the problem is.

Some parts are available from GPC.

Best.

• Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭

I have a Forehand & Wadsworth like yours. I may run across it since it is disassembled in a cigar box. Hopefully soon, which should help you with getting the correct part(s). Happy New Year!

• Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

when you fire it double action hold back on trigger before firing next shot should hold cylinder in place but if fails then you may want to check hand to ensure it is rotating cylinder to proper position for cylinder lock to lock cylinder before firing

just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭

Here is a photo of the cylinder stop which stops the cylinder hopefully aligned with the barrel. Measure the one in your pistol and we can determine if it is worn or altered. Since the cylinder spins the above may be true. This one measures just over 1/8 inch.