In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

P14 Enfield feeding issues

Ro7133Ro7133 Member Posts: 3

Hello all, I recently acquired a p14 enfield in the 303 brit. But it has issues with feeding the round into the chamber. The tip of the bullet is hitting the receiver and getting stuck, then you have to pry the shell up some to get it to actually chamber. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Is it really nasty?? Are the mag lips messed up?? Is the bolt picking the cartridge up properly??

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

If possible check the mag spring and follower. i never worked on a P 14. But it's possible that there has been a substitution of followers with the one from the P 17. That used a rimless 30-06 cartridge. I don't know for a fact, that the P 14 and P 17 followers are interchangeable? But i'm sure because of the different head diameters of the 303 and 30-06 cartridges. The geometry of the followers would be different.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭

Check to determine if the follower & spring have been installed backward.

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

The 14 has a different follower and a shorter magazine box than the M1917.

If it's a Winchester marked receiver, or it has a Winchester extractor replacement, it could be the case rim not sliding up into the bolt face. Some of the Winchesters were a little tight. They have the same controlled feed that Mausers used. As the bolt is pushed forward, the case rim slides up and under the extractor. The bottom rear side of the extractor lip needs a chamfered edge.

Pull the bolt out, and see if a case rim slides into place without any resistance. If it slides right in, the extractor should hold a loaded round in place.

Do what Mobuck said. Then check to see if the follower moves freely. If the the mag box gets tweaked, it'll hang up the follower. If all that checks out, you probably have a weak mag spring.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/enfield/rifles-enf/1914-303-caliber

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

Pictures might help.

I don't know if the .308 magazine from an Ishapore 2A would even fit.

Neal

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

P14s have different followers, extractors and magazine boxes than the 1917s. Make sure these are all correct for the P14

• Options

Will try to get pictures asap. I also have a remington 1917 but the mag follower is different. It does seem like if you push the follower into the mag well every now and again it will stick down. Not sure 100% what I'm looking at, possibly the spring?

• Options
    hoosierhoosier Member Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭

Spring should have a very pronounced "W" shape. If more of an "M" it needs to be replaced. After 100 years this tends to be one of the bigest problems with feeding problems on Bolt action rifles, we have come in the shop. Mauser 98, Winchester 70's, Remington 700's, many were left loaded for years.

Magazines, Gun Parts and More. US Army Veteran, VFW, NRA Patron
  • Options

Well I have figured out my problem. It seems the whole time it was my stock. Which Is from a p17 i believe. The magazine box wasnt completely against the receiver while in the stock. Took it out of the stock and it will ratchet shells like a dream.

This discussion has been closed.