In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevens 940e Receiver Material

JakeOtisJakeOtis Member Posts: 3

I've had a Stevens Savage 940e 20 gauge since I received it for Christmas as a kid in the early 70's. Thinking of giving it to my grandson, my question is if anyone knows what type of metal the receiver is made of. I'm trying to touch it up a little, and BC Super Blue won't "take", magnets don't stick either. Had no problems with the barrel. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

If it's not magnetic, likely aluminum. BC makes a product called "Aluminum Black". Although it hasn't worked that great for me. Might consider Cerakote, or one of the other painted finishes. If the person painting the gun knows what they are doing? It could look really great.

• Options

Thanks, I'll try the Alum Black first. Knowing what I'm doing or not has never stopped me before.

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

I realize that the Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black is considered to be an alternative because it can be applied by anyone. However, I have, and I stress, never seen any results which I can tolerate. Just because you want to handle this yourself is no excuse to have low quality results.

Cerakote, by the way, is not a 'paint' process. Yes it is applied with a professional spray gun but that's as far as the relationship goes. This process is necessarily applied by trained professional finishers. It's a 2-part mix where the ratio affects how shiny or matte a finish you get. Surface prep is extremely important. Most metal parts need to be heat cured in an oven, no not your wife's oven.

Brownells has a couple of real paint applications which can be applied at home.

Quality-wise, I'd say Cerakote after having used it for the last 12 years.

Best.

• Options

Well, add me to the list of people not getting good results from aluminum black. It did turn black, but a very flat black that doesn't match at all. I followed the directions and applied wax as the final step, but that just made the flat stand out even more. Should have left it alone from the start. Live and learn.