In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what choke tube ?

jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

my son has a mossberg 20ga and is wanting to use steel shot , what choke tube should he be using?

Comments

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭

What are you hunting?

A choke rated for steel shot first choice.

• Options
    jarjar Member Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

ducks , I understand about the choke being rated for steel shot , he is having trouble finding any , and should it be a full? or mod? I am at a loss to tell him because I have never had to use steel shot .

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭

He's going to have to find the choke restriction that yields the best pattern at intended range. Every gun/choke tube/cartridge combination is going to perform differently.

I also recommend using an extended tube that puts the choke out past the end of the barrel. Even steel compatible tubes will eventually stretch and a flush mount tube could jam in place.

• Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭

I like modified choke in my 12 gauge 870 with Winchester Drylok #2 for ducks and BB for geese

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

Auction side has some.

Each gun is different. A modified might shoot a better pattern than a full.

I have a 870 special field 12 gauge that I shoot with a improved modified, deadly. My son shoots a 20 gauge with a improved cylinder, if it flies it dies.

Test and tune is the only way to tell. Shot size and amount plays a big part in effectiveness.

• Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

Mod choke tube or an I/cylinder if you can find one. . I have only been shooting ducks for 72 years. LOL. 😄😄😄

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭

duckhunter is right, Imp Cylinder or Modified, especially if you are hunting over decoys. Only need Full Choke for 50 yd+ shooting and maybe for geese. It is always helpful to pattern your gun to see if it shoots to point-of-aim.

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

I know it can be done, but I wouldn't recommend shooting full chokes with steel. When the shot meets the choke, the tighter the restriction, the more force is required for the shot to pass through that area and something has to give. Lead shot would compress slightly since it is softer than the barrel steel, and pass through. Steel shot is not as soft as lead, and if it can't slightly alter its shape to pass the choke, you could end up with a bulged barrel...

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^