In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson 1 1/2

chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭

I have an antique 5 shot S&W 1 1/2 32RF that functions well and is in overall decent shape. I like the gun but like many of these old guns the hinge is sloppy. The hinge screw looks like it may have been changed and it is stripped in the frame.

Is there a gunsmith that would be willing to remove the screw, re-tap the frame and make a new screw to tighten up the barrel.

Now the gun is not worth much but if repaired it would be worth more, especially to me.

Any interest ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭

The one that I have seen don't have a lot of excess material in the boss area of the frame, where the hinge is located. Doubtful drilling and tapping a oversized hinge pin hole would feasible because of this.

Probably epoxying in a steel plug in the existing taped hole. Then drilling and tapping it for the correct size hinge screw would be best. Given the current hourly rate, of a competent gunsmith with the correct equipment. Probably going to be quite expensive. Unless you are able to find one who will do it pro bono. Good luck on that.

• Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭

Do you mean that the barrel wobbles left and right a bit? The barrel to frame fit is quite snug on those old S&Ws so I wonder if the barrel isn't original to that frame. Someone may have tried to tighten that spacing up a bit by over tightening the small screw resulting in it stripping.

• Options
    chicoppeechicoppee Member Posts: 312 ✭✭

Thanks for all the advice.

Ill just sell it basically as a parts gun.