In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any states have an full out AWB?

jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

In every case that I am aware of, what is referred to as a "ban" is a series of restrictions on purchase or possession, and the requirement that certain firearms (by name or characteristics), be registered by a specific date.

In NJ, firearms classed as assault firearms but acquired before 1 May 1990 and registered with the state are legal to possess.

CA has a series of laws requiring registration of certain firearms categorized as assault weapons, all of which require the specific firearms to be registered. Once registered they remain legal to posses.

In NY, possession of assault weapons is prohibited, except for those legally possessed on January 15, 2013 and registered with the state by January 15, 2014.

Maryland, Massachusetts, and Connecticut have similar restrictions, each involving registration of certain firearms (by name of characteristics) by a certain cut off date which will grandfather them for continued possession.

The short answer, which I'm not very good at, is: I am unaware of any state with a total "Turn them all in or face prison" type ban.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭

Washington State prohibits all peasants from owning full auto and select fire weapons. So yes, there are states with active AWB's.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

In Washington State, Machine guns, if purchased before July 1, 1994 are legal for non-law-enforcement (the peasants) possession. Suppressors, destructive devices and any other weapons are lawful to possess and use if registered properly with ATF. Short barreled rifles are lawful to possess and use if registered properly with the ATF, as of June 12, 2014.

RCW 09.41.190 RCW 09.41.220 RCW 09.41.225 RCW 09.41.250(1)(c)

Once again, no outright ban on possession, instead, there is a cut off date for registration, as exists in other states, some of whom I named.

There are dozens of states with NFA restrictions, but as I read it, that is not what is currently being proposed in Virginia, where machine guns are legal, but must be registered with the state police.

NFA issues are an entirely different subject. If Jim Deere is interested in machinegun possession, I'd be happy to go into it with him. As a Class 3 dealer, the NFA is my primary area of interest.

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

florida is trying now

• Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Mark is 100% correct.

But an all out ban is not necessary and liberals know this. Many gun owners simply could not afford or want to go through the hassle of owning an NFA item. And I suspect they will make even high capacity magazines NFA items. Who can afford a $200 tax stamp for every magazine, and semi auto they own, and that may end up being a yearly fee, not just one time.

I could in no way afford even a one time fee. So we all would have to decide to either turn them in, become a felon, or pay the fee.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

All they have to do is put a deadline on "registration" and then go into slow motion. All those registration applications are on hold until the deadlines expire and then "Turn it in or become a felon"

• Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

Yep death by a thousand cuts and The Supreme Court left the door open for more restrictions to be forth coming.They know if you go straight out to a ban on all semi-autos there would be a hrrrrrr a big problem here in America because of the wording in the second amendment of "Shall not be infringed".

The politicians only choice for a out right ban is a constitutional convention to remove that amendment and violence in the name of law and order.

serf