In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

rcbs charge master

jimmybkyjimmybky Member Posts: 2

Could I please get a recommendation on what is a reliable powder scale? I have owned 2 of the rcbs 1500's and now the second one has failed. Suggestions?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭

Good Morning Jim,

Welcome to the GB forums!

It's important to know what volume of reloading you want to do? (frequency, wear and tear)

The span of years of service from the 2-RCBS 1500 tools?

Circumstances where the scales are used? (environmental)

There are primarily 4 manufacturers of digital auto powder dispensers:

RCBS

Hornady

Lyman

Frankfort Arsenal

Like most digital scales, the internal parts are very similar and are generally supplied by China. They are mass produced which means you will see a few failures within the product range. These are usually about the same/similar price range ($3-400).

In order to get greater reliability and longevity, it seems you have to make a significant jump in the price. Sartorius and A+D are probably the best know lab quality for reloaders:

Just be sitting down when you see the price.

Best.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Are you wanting a scale, or an auto powder dispenser? I have the RCBS chargemaster lite and like it. Had it for a year or so, and it's used weekly in my garage, no complaints. I do store it in the box when not in use, so it's not always exposed to dust and other elements. I like it because it is easy to use. I don't need the info storage , I can look in my book and enter a couple of numbers.

• jimmybkyjimmybky Member Posts: 2

Thank you! Comprehensive and informative.....

• chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,718 ✭✭✭✭

Just cant live without an autoscale anymore. My experience with these units is empirical.

AMT was the first to make an automatic powder dispenser. It was analog meaning you had to set the large and small weights.

Bought mine in the 80s and used for years until the age of digital. Surprisingly it still works.

I have owned several Chargemasters. 2 of them crapped out after several years of use, I have a 3rd one that is still alive. No one repairs them, unless that has changed as of late, and you cant get parts for them. My units failed for keyboard and display issues.

Had a number of exchanges with RCBS via email over their Chargemasters years ago. RCBS told me no one repairs them and their policy is to send someone a replacement only within the 1 year warranty window. Chargemaster are great units, but I cant recommend because of failure rate.

Had a Lyman and it crapped out after a week. Fortunately, I was able to get a refund.

Have no experience with FA. They make the fastest and most durable case trimmer and I love their SS pin tumbler. Wonder if their scale is as good as the trimmer and tumbler. May end up with one in the future as they are priced less than others and often on sale.

When Hornady introduced their autoscale I believe over 5 years ago, I bought one and like it. It still works. Now have another I acquired in a trade and use both together when speed is needed. IMHO Hornady is the best of all.

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I have an old pact, scale and dispenser it is 2pc unit and you have to calibrate them each time you use them. Have had them for going on 10 years maybe still works fine is is very slow to dispense. I may only load 1000 rounds or so a year and it has worked fine for what I use it for, don't know if it would stand up to daily use and at time it was only around $200-250 range for both pieces, I also break it down after each use and store them in the boxes they came in between uses.

after looking guess this won't help you, the pact scales/dispenser have been discontinued..........

• rgnot3rgnot3 Member Posts: 28

I have the Frankford for about a year now. So far so good. I reload frequently for many different calibers and the app is nice. You keep the loads on the app on your phone and when you are ready to load that specific recipe you send it to the scale and its ready to dispense, so once you have the load stored in the phone it will stay there forever. I hope it continues to work as it has since now I am pretty spoiled! Its a long way from a beam scale.