In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

We had one

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2021 in General Discussion

And we rode in the back of Dads pickup too

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

We always rode to Pony League games in the beds of open pickup trucks.

• Options

Cool pic. Looks like a 1960 Ford Fairlane in the background.

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭

My Mom would open the trunk and we would sit with our legs hanging out the back. Don

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

Our wagon was a '57 Dodge. Two tone paint, fins, push-button auto trans & all.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭

had an aunt who used to come visit us every summer, she had 4 kids, one year they decided to bring their cat, my cousin was in the back with it and decided to give it a big hug, only he squeezed it to tight, and it ran off at both ends all over him and the other girls and the luggage, they were quite a sight, and smell, when they pulled in the drive and got out of the car.........

• Options

One other, my dad only owned one station wagon, they were on a trip before I was born with my sister who was in the back seat with her window down, dad threw a cigarette out the window, which happened to come back in her window and go in the back with the luggage, it caught an old blanket on fire and started smoking which filled the car, by time dad got the car off the highway and fire out it had burned up most of one suitcase and the plastic mat in the back was melted, he blamed my sister for having her window down and traded the car as soon as he got back home........

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited January 2021

I believe that you are correct. The body style was changed in the 1960. My dad bought the wagon used, not long after my sister was born (1963). Our family put a lot of miles on that vehicle: Besides St. George, there were trips to Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon, The Petrified Forrest; we went everywhere in that wagon.

My mom actually hated to drive it. Riding on those old bias ply tires, that big old wagon must have been a beast to handle, so my dad bought her a 1968 Dodge Charger to drive around town and to use on shorter trips. Although the Charger was a great car, my sister and I were stuck sitting next to each other in the backseat and could no longer lay down in the back and go to sleep like we could in the wagon.

This lead to the classic brother and sister road-trip confrontation:

"Mark is moving over on to my side!"

"I am not. She's sitting on my side."

"I am not!"

Those were the days.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hillbille, I can beat that one. We had an Oldsmobile 98. (Actually had several. Olds 88 before that.)

Road Trip. Back seat, had my head hanging out in the wind. Well Dad, I guess figured we had too much wind coming in to the car. Rolled the power window up, but I had my head hanging out. Yep, head rolled up and trapped in the Olds 98 window.

Thanks Dad. 🤕

• Options
    edited January 2021

remember those days Ken, used to stick my tongue out just to see how dry I could make it, I don't think intelligence kicked in till about 10-11 then lost it again in my teens........... only think that saved me, dad wouldn't spring the extra money for power window

• Options
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i rode all over West Virginia sleeping on the "package shelf" in front of the back window of a 53 chevy.

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

Daughter was talking to me the other day- We had a Buick Sports Wagon- she and her brother used to ride in the luggage section on a blanket- and loved it.

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

I really miss those old vent windows on the driver\passenger sides! Came in handy when that bean burrito decided to kick in! It also cooled the car down quite a bit without having to get blasted by an open window. Never had air conditioning back in those days.

I take my dogs with me a lot in the old KIA Sportage. The PBGV (Petite Basset Griffon Vendean) has learned how to roll down the back window! I do my best to always remember to hit the child lock but have occasionally forgotten. I would hate to see her take a flying leap at highway speeds!

Mark, I like your Princeton haircut in that picture! You could pass as one of my brothers! 🙂

• Options

This is like the one my mom drove. Same color too

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭

If you took the spare out of those wagons, you could stuff at least two kids in there, to get in the drive-in movies too!

• Options
    lkanneslkannes Member Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭

This was our family truckster when I was a kid, a 1975 Pontiac Grand Safari with the obligatory fake wood grain paneling. Since there were 8 of the "way back" was used all the time.

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭

We had a Rambler 440 station wagon when I was a kid. I can't remember the year... '68 maybe?

It was robin egg blue and was my mom's grocery getter.

One time my dad and I were just east of The Dalles, OR on I-84. It was hotter than the hubs of hell that day and the windows were all down. A loaded cattle truck passed us and one of the passengers had evidently neglected to void her bladder prior to boarding the bus. When they went by she was backed up to one of the holes in the stock trailer so precisely that she managed to deposit almost an entire bladder-full through my dad's open window. 😲😲😲

I learned words that day that I'll never, ever forget!🤣

• Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭

My old man had a 1957 red/white Plymouth station wagon with the push button transmission. Riding in the back was a chore for me and my siblings. He was an iron worker and all his tools, helmet and spud bars were back there also.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭✭

@Itcdoty Our 57 Dodge was also red & white. Dad liked to mess with tailgaters. Over a certain speed, you could push the reverse button 1/2 way & only the back-up lights would go on. We knew what was going to happen whin he said, "watch this."

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭

We had a 58 Buick wagon.Metallic brown lower ,pale yellow upper.I think the bumpers on that Buick probably weighed as much as the Camry my wife drives now.

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,275 ******

@mark christian you haven't aged a day!

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭

We had one for about month dad hated it and soon traded it in

As far as trips we would go to Tenn. To visit family several times each summer about a 6 to 8 hour trip on old 25a the new interstate cut down the time

Any way being on low side of having money mom would take a thermos of coffee for dad and her a jug of water and a bag full of bologina sandwiches for us all . us kids 3 later 4 all packed into the back seat oh a empty jug no rest room stops for kids .it was sorta set a new time record every time we went

As for the drive in we were all frozen at ten years old for as long as we went together along with the jug of water and bolognia sandwiches no p jug but after dark beside the car was it

Oh the good ? Old days lol

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭

We camped in station wagons in the 50's. Dad really liked Nash Ramblers and we had a '52 wagon, then a Plymouth Valiant. My dad bought a new Rambler wagon in '64, and I picked it up after school (dealer across the road), and drove it home. The front seats laid all the way back flat. The back seats folded down flat as well. I really liked that old station wagon, maybe more than my father did. It was good for camping too.

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭

we never had one . Dad favored big huge boats for the family car .Think Buick electra 225 and Oldsmobile 98's in the four door versions .That buick had the biggest backseat of any car ever !

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

How did we even survive them days with the Gov't not being concerned about the safety of our well being.

No seat belts, riding in the back of a pickup standing up, driving drunk was ok, Smoking lots of cigarettes, taking knives and guns to school for show and tell and showing the teacher, the teacher would go hunting with me, no cell phones to stay in touch, talking to strangers, hitch hicking, buying our own shells in the store at age 12, skinny dipping in the creek, smoking grape vines which caused blisters on the tongue on and on about things that are not allowed in todays world.

Now that would go viral and make the headline news today.

• Options

but for the most part Okie, we had parents who taught us right from wrong, and you knew if you did wrong you were gonna get a spanking for it, wether it be in school, at neighbors house or at home, conciquences for your actions was the big deterent, now days if a kid/person does wrong nothing happens except they get slapped on the wrist and told don't do it again, or they get rewarded for it........... yes we lived through it, I am just not sure my grandkids will