In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lumber costs so much

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭

I was wandering around the home improvement big box store this weekend and noticed that sheets of paneling are going for about $40 each. 40 bucks for a sheet of paneling!

I remember when you wanted a cheap way to cover a wall, this was it. Now you have to be rich to have a paneled room.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭✭

When I made the reloading bench in my shop, I used a dozen 8' 2x8s on edge with 1" plywood finished on one side for the top. Legs are heavily braced 4x4s. It is overly strong, but I did not want it to flex when I was running the reloading presses. Anyway, I am glad I built it then because I probably couldn't afford it now.

The plywood was 25 bucks a sheet, if I remember correctly. At the same time I paneled several rooms in the house with the cheapest paneling I could find; it was $4-something a sheet. This was in 1978.

• Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭

That's actually pretty clever ..................... and funny.

Probably cost around two grand or more today to build one that size and someone more than likely gave him that boat just to get it out of their yard.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,350 ******

The top pic having a pontoon boat deck makes for a great escape when the great flood comes! I would make sure to decorate the home with a nautical theme. Just think of all the tax money you will save! Make sure to move the deck out of the way when the auditors are coming! Arrrrrg!

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭✭

Andy, I'm surprized they didn't just screw a board into the lower track & call it a big window.

• Options
    fugawefugawe Member Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭

If it's stupid and it works, it aint stupid. Bubba

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Few beers and someone will be fishing off of it