In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FFL help

ifishbajaifishbaja Member Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello, It's been quite a while since I've posted on here but I find I need the advice from the experts once again. I have a bit of an issue and hopefully one or more on here can help out. Here goes.

I won a bid on here for a pistol. The FFL holder I chose locally to receive and transfer the firearm has always been a good store, and I've even done a transfer with them a couple years ago. So, I selected them from the FFL list during the immediate checkout process, then sent payment and completed the process. I got an email from gunbroker that said the FFL info was transferred and shortly there after, I got several other emails, one of which said the item had shipped and was given a tracking number. I tried to call the store to let them know that I had an item coming but the phone number was not in service.

On Friday, 6/4, after checking the tracking number, I saw that the item had been delivered. The store closes very early in the afternoon, so on Saturday, I drove up to fill out the transfer forms. This is where I need some advice perhaps.

As I walked in the door, I noticed that all of the display cases were empty of firearms, and was greeted by a man behind the counter that said, "We are only selling ammo today". I said that I wasn't there for ammo but that a firearm was received there and I wanted to complete the transfer. Another man seated behind another counter said, "We don't have it". I pointed to my phone and showed the email saying that it showed it was delivered. I asked who the person was that signed for the package as I had the name on on the delivery note. He said, "Thats me, I'm the owner but we don't even have an FFL. He went on to say that the store with that name went out of business a week ago. I asked where the pistol was and he said, "I dont know, ask the post office, I told them to take it back". I asked why the delivery note said delivered and not refused or returned or some other thing. At that point, he said, "Are you saying I stole your pistol? Are you calling me a thief?" I said, no, but there is a pistol now, somewhere that I paid for and there is no record of. He again told me to call the post office, and that if I think he stole it, call the police. Then, he said, I want you out of my store. You are trespassing and motioned for two of his other workers to move in my direction as he stood and came around the counter. I should point out that the store owner is the son of the prior owner and has worked there for years.

I did leave and I was very troubled by what had just happened. Upon returning home, I called the store from which I purchased the firearm from. They did some looking and said, it definitely shows that gunbroker has that FFL on file, along with the name of his new store. He suggested I contact the local sheriff, so I did. They talked to me for a minute, then said they would refer me to the local police department. Someone from the local police department called shortly and told me to call the local post office to see if they have the package.

I will be calling the local post office this morning when they open. Hopefully, they can tell me that they did send it back to the shipper...the store where I bought the gun from. I went to the "Contact us" section of gunbroker and pointed out that there are two FFL holders on their list, neither of which are actually FFL holders, and that I am concerned that firearms might be sent there illegally or fraudulently. I've heard nothing back from gunbroker on this.

So, for the advice, what do I do? It looks like my options are, hope that the post office can in fact provide info saying that the item is being returned, or, call the ATF and have them look into it? I really don't know what to do at this point. I am concerned that I just spent a lot of money for a firearm that is missing and that there is now a firearm out there and no record of it.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

You have no business calling the ATF. You should have contacted the FFL BEFORE you had a firearm sent there and all this mess could have been avoided. Call a local FFL and see if they are willing to receive the gun and there may be a way for the shipper to change the delivery address. Good Luck.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Yes, your local former-dealer could have been more helpful. But, his business has closed, he's lost his investment, I guess it's understandable that he would act like an a**hole.

USPS is having a difficult time now, employees often don't follow their procedures. Yes, they should have indicated that your gun was "refused", not "delivered". At this point, assume that the package is being returned to the seller. Phone him or send an email telling him (in as few words as possible) what happened, so that he will understand why the gun has been returned to him. Line up another local dealer; get a copy of his FFL for your seller, or maybe he will prefer to email a copy of his license to your seller. Expect to pay the shipping charge again.

If your seller doesn't receive the package within 2 weeks, ask him to file a "lost package" report with USPS. The seller should have the tracking number, maybe he will share that with you now.

Neal

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

My first stop would have been the post office that claims it was delivered. If after explaining the situation to the local postmaster they still insist it's been delivered the next step is all documentation to police. If that gets you nowhere then you can ask the seller to try his luck with the post office, bearing in mind it is absolutely no fault of the seller and he is going above and beyond to assist you.

As someone mentioned earlier you should have made arrangements with transfer dealer BEFORE having a gun sent there.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with RIcci about contacting the receiving FFL first. I go one step further and contact the receiving FFL before I bid to make sure they have no problems receiving the gun. I never want to be listed with an F rating.

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else annoyed when we all take the time to reply and try to help and then we get ghosted?

I was genuinely interested to know how this ended but no update from the original poster.

• Options
    mrs102mrs102 Member Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

Anyone else annoyed when we all take the time to reply and try to help and then we get ghosted?

I was genuinely interested to know how this ended but no update from the original poster.

I genuinely doubt this could have been reseolved in 5 days. (Maybe not even in 5 weeks.) Good luck ifishbaja.