In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What are the "safest" milsurp actions to fire questionably-stored 8mm Mauser milsurp ammo?

I understand that in general, the general advice has been to stick to new manufacture American brands and stay away from surplus or even foreign manufacture with hold loads. for the best chance of keeping your rifle intact. However, just out of curiosity, what are the most durable milsurp actions chambering 8mm Mauser? Ofc, I've been told that any Commission 88s are a no-no, plus any small-ring Mauser conversions into 8mm, plus also any Type 24s or other Mauser clones that have been stored in questionable conditions of the years during their rough service life.

So without breaking the bank or buying a new manufacture Mauser action (call me a fudd if you want but I just like some good wood and historicity in my guns), what are generally considered the strongest Mauser actions with the most safety features in case something were to go wrong? Ofc, 3-lug for sure, but what about VZ-24s, Yugos, etc? I was buying some militaria (ammo bandoliers) and the seller included some questionable milsurps on stripper clips, and not sure if I should just dispose of the rounds at the nearest range or just try to fire them out of a well-built Mauser? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Comments

• hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

if the ammo is in your own words is questionable, dispose of it, why even take chance of breaking a "well built mauser" ???????? or doing harm to yourself or others nearby

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******

condition of both the rifle and ammo is important, as you note "any Commission 88s are a no-no, plus any small-ring Mauser conversions into 8mm". if the ammo is that bad, break it down and reuse the bullet and powder with new brass.

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

I have fired a lot of old 8mm military ammo in various Model 98 Mauser military rifles. The only problem I had was hangfires and misfires. Old ammo does not increase pressure, but decreases pressure over time (the gunpowder). Primers also deteriorate to non-ignition.

• chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭✭

I have hunted for many years using a Polish small ring K98 made in Radom 1929. I have used high pressure Norma 8X57 196 gr loads almost exclusively in it. The small ring 98s, including the Polish mausers, and 98a designs from WW1 are strong actions.

The Turkish T38s using the large ring action, with small barrel shanks are another strong mauser design. The Yugo M48s, and 24/47s are good candidates, as well as any of the Czech Vz23s and VZ24s. Also, one cannot rule out the G33/40 small ring actions, strong and well made, and once prized for lightweight sporter projects.

One needs to consider, as mentioned above, the dangers of hang fires with old ammo, and of course, the corrosive effects of mercuric primers.

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭

"Old ammo does not increase pressure, but decreases pressure over time (the gunpowder). "

Not written in stone. The sealant used in some mil-spec ammo can become hard over time and literally glue the bullet into the case mouth increasing pressure significantly.

Agree on the Turk T-38 small barrel shank 98's , the VZ24's, and even some of the South American contract 98 types being good. The problem is: how does one know what has happened to these actions over the decades?

I still suffer the effects of a P-17 action blowup in 1997. That's a strong action BUT someone went overboard annealing the front ring to allow D&T for scope mounts. Split that big, heavy action right down the middle.

You can never be 'too safe' and never get complacent.