In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Selling a gun private party to a Ca resident

jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

I have a friend who wants me to sell him one of my guns that is no longer legal in Ca. Can this come back and bite me in the butt?

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

short story no, LONG story yes, especially if it is papered to you.........just how good a friend is he???

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭

do it and give finger to newsom

• Options
    jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

one of my best friends ... neither of us know the downside of this potential situation.

obviously!

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2021

Gun...rifle? pistol? shotgun?

Regardless of the states involved, the transfer of firearms across state lines by unlicensed individuals is a violation of federal law.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭✭

Would you play Russian Roulette with ten years of your freedom?

• Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭

A resident of CA is forbidden by State law from acquiring a firearm in any other state. They may only acquire a firearm thru a California FFL.

If he is found to possess a firearm that CA does not permit, he will lose the firearm, and probably wind up in court. If you deliver a firearm to someone that does not reside in YOUR state, you violated Federal law, and the Feds CAN come after you. 'tis a felony, and could cost you your freedom, all your spare cash, and your right to own ANY firearm.

If you are asking what are the odds y'all would get caught- go talk to a bookie. I don't do odds. Myself, would have to put this one right in the "REAL bad idea" file.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,595 ✭✭✭✭

Not worth finding out the downside…….want to have this in the back of your mind the rest of your life…..a good friend would not put you in this situation…it is not a good idea at any level…

• Options
    Anthony Anthony Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited September 2021

The California pistol roster only applies to firearms sold by FFL dealers and all private party transfers are exempt from said roster. The only issue you will run into is if the firearm was imported to the state illegally. If she did paperwork on it legally in the state of California at some point then you're fine. It's actually no uncommon at all for police officer to purchase off-roster handguns, wait a month, and sell it to their friends.

So basically, as long as the gun is legally registered with the state you're 100% fine, bud. Just all private party transfers have to go through an FFL dealer, that's all!

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭

Just a few odds and ends -

If you are not a CA resident you cannot do what Ca calls a "private party transfer". A CA PPT isn't all that private, it requires an FFL. If the gun is a handgun and you're not a CA resident the gun must go to an FFL dealer, who due to the CA handgun roster can't complete the transfer. Unless the gun is exempt from the roster as in C&R , Olympic pistol, SA exemption.

More info would help.