In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifled 12 gauge bbl - and rifled choke

jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

My question is regarding the rifled bbl AND the rifled choke I see available.

Is the rifled choke REPLACING the rifled barrel to use in the standard shotgun bbl? Or does it just give you a little extra length for added stability?

I saw where one rifled bbl has a twist rate of 1:28 .. seems pretty low but I know NOTHING about this so please chime in here about the setup as I may want to purchase a rifled bbl for deer.

thanks!

Comments

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

A rifled bbl for the most part is just that, a fully rifled bbl without a removeable choke. A 1:28 twist is pretty normal because of the diameter, weight and speed of the slug. In fact that is probably the most popular rate for saboted slugs. If shooting the old style rifled slugs, 1:34 or even slower can work better. Rifled slugs usually work better in a smooth barrel but some shooters still try to shoot them in rifled bbls.

Rifled chokes for smooth bore bbls have mixed reviews. I never have had much luck with them but I know some people that swear by them. So for some they work and for others not so much. Picture a fast moving slug reaching full velocity and then encountering the rifling in the last 2 or 3 inches before it leaves the bbl. When I tried it it didn't improve accuracy that much and really left a lot of residue in the choke, both plastic and lead. I assume that was because of the sudden transition from smooth to rifled. Bob

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i bought a fully rifled barrel for my Ithaca 37 several years ago. i spent a day wearing my shoulder out trying to get it to shoot as well as i had heard rifled barrels do, tried several brands of sabots but in my opinion it really didnt shoot that much better than an Ithaca smooth bore.

• Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭

A rifled barrel with sabot slugs is the way to go. Generally these are more accurate. You may have to try different brands to see which shoot the best from your barrel. I have a Browning Abolt smooth bore with the rifled choke tube and accuracy is good with sabots but not as good as my TC Encore with a fully rifled barrel. Savage makes an excellent fully rifled bolt action shotgun that generally shoots really well. They make them in both a 20 and 12 gauge. I believe I would opt for the 20 myself.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

If you are going to hunt with the gun a rifled barrel is best. I've hunted with slug guns for 45 years. A good fully rifled barrel paired with a sabot slug it likes is the premium set up. I prefer to mount a scope but I'm older than I used to be and iron sights are fine. That said we hunt with what we have. If a smooth bore is what you have you want to get the most you can out of it. I have not found rifled choke tubes to be a benefit. I've spent more time and money trying them than I care to think about. Finding the right slug for your gun is key. Some slug and gun combos work best with an Improved cylinder choke and some with a modified choke. Some will work with a cylinder tube installed. It depends on your gun and ammo. As a default I would use the I.C. tube

A slug that I have found that shoots decent to well out of most smooth bores are Federal True Ball slugs. I am also a fan of Brenenke. I have shot most main brands of slugs and found any may work in one gun well but not another. I'm sure there are some I haven't tried but I've tried most..

For deer I agree with the 20ga fully rifled barreled shotgun. In addition to the ones mentioned above you might find a used H&R single shot. I've killed dozens of deer with one in 20ga. I bought my boys one each and if they weren't going I took one myself and left my 12ga rifled slug gun in the truck.

Even with fully rifled barrels you have to find the ammo it likes. The fastest greatest wiz bang stuff isn't worth snot if it isn't accurate. That ammo is pricey and when you find what it likes stock up, they may quit making it.

Happy hunting

Edit: I want to add I like a dedicated gun for what I'm doing. But there is nothing wrong with buying a slug barrel for a gun you already have. I have semi-autos and pumps that shoot just fine with the slug barrel on. Also while I prefer the 20ga I've killed more deer with a 12ga because that is mostly what I had through the years. I only prefer the 20 because it's lighter and is plenty of gun for the deer here in Southern Indiana. I still have some Remington Copper solid 20ga slugs but they quit making them in 20ga. When these are gone I have to find something else the guns like.

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

There is some good, practical advice here. My Remington 870 with a 18 inch smoothbore slug barrel will keep the Brenneke slugs on a paper plate at 50 yard with open sights. This has proved perfectly adequate hunting the farm woodlots in southern Michigan. Any longer shots out to 100 -125 yards would require a rifled barrel shooting sabots and a scope. That has been my experience. Good luck.

• Options
    jb4lcmjb4lcm Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

Thank you all for the great input!