In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Value of Ruger Mini-14 folding stock A-TM versions

hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭

I was doing some research on stainless Mini-14 prices listed on Gunbroker. I found several clean examples listed around $800. I noticed that the factory folding stock versions of the Mini-14 are listed at $2000 and sometimes considerably more. These are listed as A-TM versions. I assume this is a reference to the TV show A-Team, in which folding stock versions of the Mini-14 were frequently featured. What is interesting is that factory original folding stocks can be purchased for about $300. Does swapping out the original stock for the folding version actually add $1000 or more to the value of the rifle? Are these original folding stock rifles in a specific serial range or are they just Mini-14s with folding stocks? Are people actually paying upwards of $2k for these rifles?

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think the ORIGINAL factory folders can be had for $300. And they are long discontinued. And no, just because you put a "folder" on a Mini does not make it correct. It would have to be in the serial range that factory folders was put on. To me value is 1k-1200 to a person who wants one. IMO.

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭

Look up completed auction in the advanced search. Look for rifles that sold, not the ones that didn't and got relisted. Recent completed sales will give you an idea as to value of your rifle.

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your insight. The folding stocks I saw listed for around $300 are Ruger-branded made by Bowman folding stocks but they are recently manufactured for conversions. Some of the Ruger factory folding stock Mini-14s I saw listed were asking $2800-$3200. I dont want to sell my mini-14 but if I thought I could make a quick $1000 just by swapping out the stock I would cosider it.

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Factory folders also had a different front band /gas block the sling mount is made on the side of it not on the bottom also a very expensive part to find also a easy way to spot a copy some one added the stock to

I use to buy and sell the factory folding stocks even then 500. Was common now 800 on up for just a ss stock

Also ebay considers a Ruger mini folding stock a assault weapon part and banned from selling but a plain Jane conventional stock is fine