In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 1907 Forearm Tip Question

zvettezvette Member Posts: 118
edited November 2021 in Ask the Experts

Does anyone know if there is more than one version of the forearm tip? I bought an excellent condition forerarm (because of course mine was cracked and although I repaired it, I wanted a spare).

The problem is that where the forearm registers into the tip it is much too large. In fact although the shape is correct, it is almost the same size as the outside of the tip itself and there is not enough material to reduce the size to fit. All other fit of the forearm is excellent, but don't see how to use it.........unless there is another perhaps later forearm tip design that is larger where it mates with the forearm.

The new forearm measures 1.37 across the width where it should register inside the tip.

Comments

• Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

What is a Winchester 1907? I don't find it in my parts source.

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin

zvette, I found this information in the wiki link below, under the heading "variants"

"In the late 1930s, the 1907 was updated by Winchester with a much thicker fore-end (eliminating the cracking problems common to the earlier models) and stock. The newer model also had a redesigned charging handle which made it easier to lock the bolt back."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1907

• Options

HP Drifter- Thanks for that info. I was able to order a new tip from Numrich, and looking at the image it appears that it steps out where it captures the fore-end vs my current one which does not have that feature. I have both style charge handles, and they work with either tip. Going by the serial number mine was produced in 1938. Pretty sure my dad bought it new about the same time he purchased new a "registered custom" .357 Magnum S&W revolver. At any rate must have been just before they beefed up the fore-end design. Cheers-Z

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin

BTW Cool looking rifle, other than the box magazine the 1907 looks a lot like my my dad's 63 Winchester.

• Options
    GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

OK! I see Numrich lists this as Model 07. That's why my search for Winchester 1907 turned up nothing.

• Options

I see that Numrich also lists an early design without the swivel, so perhaps there are at least 3 variants.

• Options

An update on this:

-It appears that the fore-end I bought is actually for a model 1910 .401 caliber.

-I purchased a model 1910 fore-end tip and it mates perfectly.

-The good news is that with very minor fitment the fore-end works nicely on my model 1907 .351

See attached photos for the two tips side by side and fore-end fitted. All diameters and plunger fit are the same for both tips.

So the question still remains as to what the exact configuration is for the later model .351 with the improved fore-end.

• Options

Another photo to show the model 1910 fore-end on a model 1907 (.351) and then a model 1910 (.401) with the same fore-end and tip.