In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

80 %

amish boyamish boy Member Posts: 4

Can I legally sell my 80% built rifle? I am in Florida Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭✭

you built a rifle ..and took an 80% reciver and finished it and now a fully working rifle so it has no serial numbers? not legaly but it is your bussiness

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭

Has to have a 'unique' serial number plus name and location of 'manufacturer'. At that point, you need to follow your state regs as to how and to whom you can transfer the firearm.

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭

NO. Federal law permits you to "make" a legal firearm FOR YOUR USE ONLY.

Can you give it away? The law doesn't address this, but I wouldn't want to be the test case. I hate prison food.

Neal

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******

Unlicensed individuals may manufacture a firearm for personal use, but not for sale. As Neal already said, federal law does not specifically prohibit an unlicensed person from selling, giving away, or transferring his/her homemade firearm to another person, but only if it was originally intended for personal use.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Anthony Anthony Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited November 2021

Mark is absolutely correct by saying that if you do not possess a type 07 FFL that you cannot manufacture for the purpose of selling the weapon, you can still manufacturer it for personal use but if you still happened to sell it down the line there is nothing illegal about it.

Now, is it still an 80%? If so then you do not need a license to sell or manufacture these items as they are not legally considered guns hence do not require an FFL or SN. But if it is a considered a gun then you would be engaging in what's called a private party sale. These type of private sales are not subject to any sort of federal laws but each state has the right to regulate them as they please. Whilst I personally see no requirement to go through a dealer for a private sale in the state of Florida, I did find this excerpt that I'll post bellow!

"Each county shall have the authority to require a criminal history records check and a three to five day waiting period (excluding weekends and legal holidays) in connection with the sale of any firearm occurring within such county. For purposes of this subsection, the term 'sale' means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration for any firearm when any part of the transaction is conducted on property to which the public has the right of access. Holders of a concealed weapons license as prescribed by general law shall not be subject to the provisions of this subsection when purchasing a firearm."