In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone have experience with Nelson Custom 22 conversions?

kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
edited April 2022 in Ask the Experts

I've been wanting a better than "run of the mill" 1911 22LR for several years. In everything I've read the Nelson & Marvel (which is machined by Nelson) are the top two contenders.

Over the last 40+ years I've had a Ciener, Kimber, SiG, and a couple other kits which were unremarkable as well as a GSG (complete firearm) ... most were just "okay" at best, the Kimber was the most disappointing.

I'm no super sniper or anything like that, but I'd like one that could match my 45's reliably, in my hands. Though I've never had one, I've heard the Colt ACE used to be the best there was and is still a great collector piece; the prices I've seen reflect that. In fact there is a really nice stainless, fully engraved Colt with a matching 22LR slide on the auction side ... the only thing stopping me is the $3K+ price tag!

Unfortunately arthritis is already getting in my hands, shoulders & knees. Anything with more recoil than the 6.5 Creedmoor I built on a 308 AR receiver is about all the recoil I can take and I've come to accept that in a few years 22LR may be all I can shoot due to recoil, but as long as I can shoot, I will shoot!

If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

I shot High Standards so I never had a need for a 1911 conversion. I never heard anything about Colt Ace pistols being accurate. I remember most folks who were looking for accurate .22 lr conversions were shooting Marvel kits. Good luck.

• Options
    dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Ruger Mark III 22/45 it takes 1911 grips and shoots like a dream.

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭✭

I don't shoot the Colt Ace much as the floating chamber gets dirty too fast. I shoot a Kart conversion (which is no longer made) & hear that the Marvel is very good.

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭

When it was made.....the Kart Conversion Unit was advertised to shoot 5/8" 10 shot groups, out of a Ransom Rest, at...................50 YARDS. Pretty much unheard of, for a 22lr conversion unit on a 45 frame.

In 1979, I built the pistol shown below. I managed some of my very few "100's", on the NRA rimfire short course, with it.

Note: The Kart units show up on the auction side every once in awhile.

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭

I have a Nelson conversion on the frame of my least used .45. It is quite reliable; I am shooting in IDPA matches that allow .22s during the Panicdemic shortages. Accuracy hand held is as good as any target pistol I have, too bad I don't have access to a Ransom Rest any more.

I also have a Service Model ACE, one of the late 1970s guns. It is fairly reliable with its original magazines, the floating chamber clean and heavily lubed, with ammo and recoil spring matched up. Replacement magazines and random ammo, not so good. Accuracy is mediocre. Its main advantage is that the floating chamber does give a bit of recoil as understudy to a 9mm. I would not pay big money for another.

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I have 2 Karts, one complete colt framed totally built by Fred Kart himself on one of his last Colt supplied bare frames. He made it to my specs in his basement in Riverhead, L.I. NY back in the late 70's.

It was a revelation to me in its' outstanding accuracy and overall fitment and 100% reliability.

I still own and shoot it, it is still the most accurate pistol I have ever owned.

The second is just a complete Kart conversion unit , with 2 mags that has only been mounted once on a frame to function test with some dummy ammo , but I never live fired it. Since getting it from Fred in Sept. of 1979 it has been a safe queen.

I was to be my back-up if the first ever had problems, well in all this time I only see it once a year to wipe fit down and re-oil it for another year of storage.

If you want the best 22 conversion that will mount on your 1911 style frame, seek out a Kart, it will probably seem over-priced but you will not find a better conversion, just keep searching for one that is in really good condition and you will never question your purchase.

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

I have a Marvel currently mounted on a Springfield Armory Mil-spec frame with an upgraded trigger and ambi safety.. I purchased both from the auction side here on GB.. Super accurate, but ammo picky. I have used it for informal target shooting and have taken a couple squirrels with it also.

I also tried most of the other alternatives over the years and like you the Kimber was very disappointing even when mounted on a Kimber Gold Match frame... I have never had a Kart or Colt Ace

Added info......I should note I tried the Marvel on 4 different frames. A Taurus 1911, Kimber Gold Match, Springfield loaded and finally the Milspec. There was a slight difference between them. The Gold Match and Mil-spec frames were pretty evenly matched. I stayed with the Mil-spec and leave the Gold Match in tact. The other Springfield Loaded and Taurus were both fine overall...

• Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

I had owned a colt ace, 30 years ago, sold it and replaced it with a buck mark. Browning much more accurate and did not need cleaning as often. JMO

• Options
    62vld204262vld2042 Member Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭

A few years ago I also bought a second Kart Conversion Unit......that was brand new in its factory box with two magazines. Full disclosure.....I could not buy it for what my first one cost......which was $289, I think.

I had plans to mount it to a pre-70 Series National Match frame assembly. But, since I had long ago originally fitted a Gold Cup trigger to the pictured pistol........well.......it's now also my "spare". 😀

Besides........in a pinch, there's the S&W41, HS Victor, HS Supermatic Trophy, Ruger H.B......etc.

Target pistols.........what's not to like????👍

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

yeah, the second one cost me about $180. when I got it, direct from Fred, in todays money that's about $800. that was a significant amount of money to me back then. My factory box is a small rectangular cardboard box with hand cut styrofoam pieces "precisely" cut to the outlines of the contents.

• Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭

Like Geri - been there - done that - got the tee shirt. Replaced by a Smith & Wesson Model 41 - 7-inch barrel - less fuss and muss - more accurate. Best Regards - AQH

This discussion has been closed.