In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Double Action No. 6 Hopkins & Allen Arms Co. Norwich, Conn, USA safe to shoot?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Ask the Experts

5 shot 38 S&W (not marked as such), no markings other than what's in the title above and the 4 digit serial number. The grips bear the Forehand and Wadsworth logo.

I've found conflicting information about when this was produced but apparently it's at least 100 years old as 1917 was the last year for the company.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Not easy to pin down hard info on dates for Hopkins & Allen/ Forehand & Wadsworth. H&A made guns for F&W until purchasing F&W in 1902. Wadsworth name dropped sometime (?) after his retirement in 1890 & apparently the Forehand name around 1902/3. H&A discontinued production in 1914 and Marlin later (1917?) purchased the assets. Your gun bearing both names may have been made around 1902, best guess, with parts cleanup grips (if original). Fair amount of speculation on my part.

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭

Originally this thread asked about the DOM. I've had the gun almost a year and still haven't shot it. It came with partial box of 145 g RNL ammo made in Serbia. One assumes a previous owner had fire some of this in it.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

Safe to shoot? Maybe. This caliber has been around since the 1870s and one can only assume that modern manufacture takes this into account, it was used by a number of gunmakers. I am guessing that your ammo is Prvi Partizan, it's still in their catalog and you can find their specs online. Best to get the opinion of a gunsmith just to be safe.