In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Advice / questions about potentially selling a few items.

Johnny MacaroniJohnny Macaroni Member Posts: 1

Hello folks, long time buyer, potentially soon to be seller here. Ive been on the fence about possibly listing a few items for a few reasons.

1. I DO NOT have an ffl or c&r or own a business. Im just a lifelong collector, so how bad will that limit my acceptable payment options and or penalize when it comes to the new (ish) tax that was implemented?

2. The firearms that i would be listing are super premium & extremely desirable high dollar examples of various vintage military rifles & pistols that have not been messed with. Some have been used in reference books. Now that being said My next question is : How bad will.the fact that i have never sold item 1 before & all of a sudden start listing $5k or $10K items gonna hurt my bottom line?

Comments

• mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭✭

sell small stuff to get good feedback and work your way up

• Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Send them to Kasey (Locust Fork) on the forums. She always got top dollar for me. She even makes road trips to pick up collections.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,347 ******
    edited June 2022

I also recommend Locust Fork.

Nearly all of our sales are consignment listings. If you like how our items are presented and would like us to handle your sales please contact us.....click on " Ask seller a question" and send me a message.  We have very competitive rates...ONLY 10% for consignment sales. We have a long history on Gun Broker, and all items are insured that are in our possession. We travel to pick up collections and we send boxes with return labels to make getting your items to us as easy as possible. 

For Sale – Buy at GunBroker.com

@Locust Fork

• mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,461 ******

I am an FFL and for the past 18 months @Locust Fork has been selling my guns for me. She takes the photos and lists the guns with whatever details you provide about the gun's history. She takes credit cards and handles all of the taxes, fees and shipping. I just sit back and wait for the checks to show up.

In your situation, this is a sensible way for a newbie with no feedback to handle the sale of big ticket items.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,595 ✭✭✭✭

The above advise is SOLID. IMO, take it . Start writing your descriptions on items and go from there. If your collections merit it, take them to her if she is not close to you on one of her road trips.

• AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

If you are on the Pacific side - you might consider 'lock-stock-and-barrel' in California whenever they make one of their 'round about collection trips' - [email protected] (In July). They seem to do pretty well with their auctions. Best Regards - AQH

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=423027&PageSize=48

• bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭

If you are a long time buyer, you'll already have GB feedback. While it is true that careful bidders will look to see if that feedback was as a seller or buyer, just having a good reputation over a period of time will help.

I've got a sub-250 total feedback and I've sold things for over $6500. I didn't feel it hurt the final selling value, but one truly never knows. One also has to consider that even if it doesn't bring as much to sell yourself, those sellers that will do the work for you will justifiably need to take a percentage for their time. I think most are in the ~15% - 20% of the final sale price. If you sell, you'll have the Gunbroker Final Value fees which will be paid via invoice the next month and then have to remit the taxes collected later as well. Just follow up things to have to remember to take care of.

If you do sell them yourself, write a properly worded and formatted description without all caps and with paragraphs to make the text easier to read. And pictures, tons and tons of pictures. When trying to get top dollar for premium condition stuff, high quality photos is the best way. Orient the pictures properly, crop out anything you don't need, and take them in good lighting. You can use terms like rare and collectible, but so does everyone else. It sounds like you have the knowledge to be able to tell WHY they are so take the opportunity to do so.

I am just starting to get into WWII era military arms myself so I probably don't know a ton about the content. But, if you'd like, send me a message when you list and I'll check out your listing and offer pointers if I can. Until you have a bid you can edit your original listing and once you have a bid you can add additional comments, but not remove anything. Also, I HIGHLY recommend not using a reserve price. Put the starting price at what you'd take if someone were standing there with cash (remember to account for GB fees). Some people completely ignore reserve auctions. I don't necessarily, but if I have options I pick the non-reserve. Some people swear by the "penny start" auctions and say that on average, they sell for more. That may be true, but as I am also a collector and not a dealer, that is a frightening prospect of something selling way below market on a fluke. When I sell, I take ONLY USPS money orders and I take them to the USPS to verify them before I ship anything. Lastly, when packing, pack it way better than you'd think it needs. I once bought a very nice Rem 700 BDL heavy barrel in 6mm Rem that was absolutely mint. When it arrived, the bolt was poking through the side of the box and the checkering is all dinged up and flattened. It is sickening. I've bought several things from that seller and he always packs it well. USPS was just really rough on it...

Popular sellers such as LocustFork have a following of people that check their listings because of their reputation, not because of a specific listing. Casey is one of maybe 5 sellers that I frequently browse what they have. I am all about condition and these premium sellers often find and list the cream of the crop in mint condition offerings. LocustFork is who I've instructed my wife to call whenever I finally kick the bucket. My wife doesn't know much about very many of my guns so it would be a real relief to just hand them off with my spreadsheet and notes of what they are and then get paid for them later.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭

I have over 100 A+ feedbacks as a buyer and seller.

I’ve sold quite a few things myself but consigned many more to Kasey (Locust Fork). As a low volume seller, nobody saw at my auctions and I can’t recall ever selling an item that had more than a bid or two. I sold one item for the one penny opening bid but made a little in the $10 shipping charge.

Kasey did a fantastic job on the guns I have consigned to her and has a great reputation. She’ll do especially well with the types of items you want to sell.

She is a high volume seller and has many folks that check her listings every week (including me) and drives high numbers of bids on desirable items. As an FFL she has access to less expensive shipping than we do. You’ll realize more, with far less work, consigning your items to her. And with no fear that you are risking violating incomprehensible federal, state and local laws.

YMMV, but I doubt it. Good luck.