In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Clean Winchester buttplates

338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

What would be the best way to clean and polish Winchester plastic buttplates that get a kind of white residue on them and what is the white stuff anyway ? Any info is always appreciated. Terrill

Comments

• GunswapperGunswapper Member Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

I don't know what it is but I spray the plate with WD40 and use a toothbrush followed by a soft cloth to remove it.

• varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭

i find that WD 40 and a plastic brush works well. after i get it clean i will usually buff with a motorized cloth wheel. also a small plug for Harbor freight, they have a couple of different brush sets that have plastic, stainless steel and brass brushes in them. these do a good job of cleaning up firearm parts without damage.

• waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭

For years I have noticed it on older Winchester butt plates, it seems to brush off with out hurting the plastic. I have thought that it was maybe a wax that was applied at the factory, but I notice if you don’t keep it wiped down after you remove it, it seems to come back if the rifle has sat around a couple of years. Has me baffled as to what it is, some kind of break down maybe of the plastic.

• 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

I used the wd-40 and a stiff toothbrush and worked great. Will watch to see if the white stuff comes back. Thanks to all for the info. Terrill

• CJS10CJS10 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭

Eezox works as well. The white powder does come back over a period of years.

• forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭✭

Found this on the ‘net’ ,,,,,,,

Some buttplates were made of a black plastic called tenite.Tenite is made from cellulose acetate which is a byproduct of wood. It is also subject to a white mold which feeds on the cellulose.

• 338magnut338magnut Member Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

Never heard of Eezox until now reviews look good may try it. Also forgemonkey sounds like you have the explanation for the white stuff on buttplates. Again thanks to all for the info. Terrill

• CJS10CJS10 Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited September 2022

Eezox has won many of the anit-rust tests done by magazines etc. I use it on the outside blue and wood as well. For lube inside I user regular gun oil. I am not related to that Co.