In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

One pretty shotgun, seems it should be going for more than current bid

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2022 in General Discussion

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/943295252

I know next to nothing about these. Why is it currently only $1800.00?

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭

In it's day it was a top of the line trap gun. There have been lots of advancements since then and trap shooters want all the modern features that have come along. Things like overbored barrels, choke tubes, adjustable stocks, triggers and ribs and so on. Personally I think that is a great gun but I have to many trap guns as it is or I might be interested. From a collectors viewpoint the addition of the Morgan pad detracts a bit. From what I have seen recently that bid isn't far off from what they go for. Great gun but it suffers from a lack of interest by today's trap shooters, who are a notoriously fickle bunch. Bob

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

I agree BobJudy However that fine firearm says less than 50 rds fired... would make an excellent duck shotgun with a little modification to the chokes.

• susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Still has three days. May be some who are patiently waiting to bid.

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭

$1975 now. It will only go UP.

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

Them old shotguns just don't bring what they used too. Given there's no rust, the seller doesn't mention anything about it being a salt/no salt wood gun, something that collectors need/want to know.

Good catch on it being from the salt wood era. That kind of slipped my mind and it sure would have a bearing on the value. I don't see any evidence from the pictures, but I would like to see it close up and also under the forend. My guess will be that it will go for around $2100 unless there are a couple of bidders that need it so bad they fight it out and boost the price.

You are right about some of the old guns not bringing what they used too. Unfortunately, I have more than a couple that fall into that category. 😣 Bob

• toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

Most of the salt wood guns that I've came across had issues with the point of contact with the butt stock and the receiver, not necessarily on the forend, and they are much easier to inspect. I think it was due to the wood thickness, and the drying process, not sure if the thin forends went thru it. Also, for the old guns Bob, w/o an adjustable comb and pad, as well as different chokes, we don't point as well as we used to, so we don't have as much value...

You are correct that the usual evidence of salt wood is the contact point of the buttstock to the receiver, but I have also seen a few that showed corrosion around the forend hanger and where the superposed sliding forend contacted the barrels. Most superposed barrels show bluing wear from the forend sliding on the barrel during assembly and disassembly. That makes those spots even more susceptible to corrosion. Browning sure made a mess out of trying to use salt curing to speed up stock production. I fortunately have never owned a salt wood gun but Browning had to replace the stock on my brothers T-Bolt 22, so that is why I became extra cautious. Bob

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe because there are only 5 lines of description & 42 lines of terms & conditions.

Over 2k now- about 2600 I am thinking now.

And I am sure you guys have seen the salted ones, my first was a lesson. I was the "new" guy decades ago when are regular Sat. after noon trading session would meet and buy/ sell/ trade. I THOUGHT I got a smoking deal an a Browning T-bolt only to find out later when one of my buddies said, did you check for salt? Hmmm, no idea what he meant, and I took it apart and looked like the surface of the moon underneath the barrel. No more trading with that guy but you learned.

• JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭

Wish I had room for one more!

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******

Could you guys expound more on salt wood to a non shotgunner?

In the early 60's Browning was having a problem obtaining walnut for its firearms. Walnut, like any other wood , must be dried before working. In order to speed up the drying their supplier used salt to draw out the moisture in the wood so as to be able to deliver stock blanks to Browning faster. It worked but the problem was that it left a small amount of salt in the cells of the wood. When the blank was turned into a stock those cells were ruptured and released the salt. This caused various problems, from causing the stock finish to literally peel off from the moisture attracted by the salt and any metal surfaces in contact with the wood to rust. Like Toad67 mentioned in the o/u the rust was most prevalent where the receiver was in contact with the end grain of the buttstock. In the case of my brothers T-bolt the finish split lengthwise in several places almost the entire length of the stock. Fortunately there was no damage yet to the metal. This occurred 10 years or more after he bought the gun new. Fortunately he had his original receipt and Browning replaced the stock for free. They must have been running low on replacement stocks and had to give him what appears to be an exhibition grade one. He sure lucked out there. I don't believe Browning is still doing any replacements, after all it has been 50+ years since their problem occurred. If you buy one today from that era, you are on your own. Bob

$4,000 plus sold! I was off 1400 😳

Well, I was sure off in my estimate. Those two that got in a bidding war really wanted that shotgun bad. If I ever get off my lazy butt and get some of my stuff listed, I hope a couple of bidders like those guys come along. Maybe there's hope that mine will do as well someday. Bob

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

It is the internet