In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Grandpa and my Dad had one of these

Comments

• Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I still have my dad's.

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,666 ******

My dad claimed he had a sense of direction. If he did, I didn't inherit it. He did teach me to read a road map when I was a boy.

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭

We had one of those on the dashboard of the 58 Buick wagon.

• Options
    fatcat458fatcat458 Member Posts: 386 ✭✭✭

Christopher Columbus had one too in 1492

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******

Wow. Blast from the past. Yes there was one in our family car too.

• Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, Dad had one in his 48 Chevy too.--------------Ray

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,574 ✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing them but dad never had one in our cars

dad could not read or write , but had a memory like a steel trap when it came to directions he just had all the roads and places we traveled memorized. he just seem to know where we were and how to get where we were going . but then again 99% of all travel was back to Tennessee where he grew up and family lived 😁

now what I do remember and have only seen one many years ago for sale on ebay

in the mid 1960"s , just a guess some where ( truck stop ? or a mom and pop dinner

my dad bought and had a doll hanging off his car mirror . I remember mom was not to happy but the other men seemed to like it

it reminds me of the leg lamp in Christmas story . not just any doll , about the size of a Barbi doll give or take it . was in a clear vinyl case with a small rope and suction cup to hold on the glass or hang from the mirror

and from what I remember was a semi nude it may have had a sheer see thru dress her top was showing why the guys like it my guess (LOl ) and she may have been in a sitting position of some type.

I do not remember it fate but guessing the sun baked it and plastic and it got tossed after years of display

that was 55 yrs +/-ago so details are a bit fuzzy

• Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭

Compasses are indispensable items and knowing how to use one and orient with a map is a skill that many of us learned in the military. Not known nowadays by the young-uns.

But now, after about 10 years of good cell phone GPS..........the old days are just a memory.

How did we all do it back then with street maps while driving?

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Had a really nice Marine Grade deck compass mounted on the front deck of my Sea Kayak, a 19' Nimbus Puffin.

I used it to navigate from Island to Island offshore on the Coast of Maine, on a 14 day Sea Kayaking trip in the Penobscott Bay area of Maine with 3 other people around 1997-2000ish.

That was challenging having to take into account wind, tides, out of sight of land (at times) little Islands all over etc. Drift, time of passage, lots of variables come in to play - including Fog.

Myself and my compatriots had all joined MITA. (Maine Island Trail Association) giving us access to Islands normally closed to the Public or Privately owned Islands with the agreement that you would honor the "leave no trace," ethic and pack out any trash found.

Great Trip, Good Times!!

Yes, Map and Compass use is a dying Art. (For most.)

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭

A buddy gave me what he called a polish compass one time. It was a small convex spot mirror, glued into the bottom of a plastic chew can. He told me that it wouldn't tell me where I was going, or where I'd been, but it sure in the hell showed me who was lost....

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited September 2022

Though we didn't have one in any of our vehicles, I've seen those lots of times. My dad always did the driving and he can navigate like he has a compass built into his brain. Fortunately, I inherited about 3/4 of that skill.

Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭

The Vikings had one too and also a stone that pierce the cloud cover to find the sun in the sky!

serf