In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ballpark value?

MopeychildMopeychild Member Posts: 5
edited October 2022 in Ask the Experts

Morning, I’ve been tasked with handling two guns belonging to a late coworker. Depending on the value I may trash them or auction them, was hoping someone could provide a little guidance. Pics below… what appears to be a low- end child’s 22 from way back, and an antique S&W revolver, may be .38 special or .357. I haven’t opened the handle yet to check the date. Thnx for your help, I’m not knowledgeable enough to research these.

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******

The long gun is not a firearm. It is a Benjamin Franklin pump-up air rifle. Looks to be .22 caliber. I have one like it, and have had it for over 50 years. It has been overhauled once and it still works. These are quality air guns that bring decent money.

The handgun is a Smith & Wesson "Victory Model." Another nice piece,

• chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭

Agree w/ Mr. Nunn on the air rifle, and the revolver. The Victory model is NOT an antique (cartridge arms made prior to 1-1-1899 are antiques LEGALLY) They were made in .38 S&W and in .38 S&W Special (2 different cartridges) during WW2. Used to arm wartime critical facility guards. A less polished version of the Military & Police Special which later became the Model 10.

• MopeychildMopeychild Member Posts: 5

Got it- not an antique with a capital A. I see on the fine print it is a 38 Special, but I did not check for other marks. Now that I know what a victory model is, more or less, and see that they sell typically 300-800, this one being a bit rougher than others with completed sales. So there's no paper with it, no idea when/how it was purchased as the owner passed several years ago. Is it legal to auction so long as there's a serial number in there somewhere? I guess I would have to first purchase it in order to be the rightful owner?

Thank you for your help here- I'm a hobbyist in a different place so I get the knowledge gap created by decades of experience, and your generosity in sharing.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭

There should be no need to remove the grips of the S&W; the serial number should be stamped on the bottom of the grip frame (where the lanyard ring is attached).

In most states, it would be legal for you to list & sell firearms on behalf of the family. Having outlived all of my shooting buddies, I have done so several times. I kept records, which accurately show that I made nothing on the sale of any firearm; I am a collector, not a dealer.

Neal